Chapter 1

The moon was the most menacing of them all. Hidden behind cloud, omniscient and carefree. The terror radiated through them all. They laughed.

He was a normal kid, or he hoped. A recent spark of "superpowers" had rampaged the world descending everything into ruin. If he was another one of those beings, he'd be tempted by madness. Instead he was hidden. In his small spot of nowhere. Protecting his small slice of nothing. It wasn't like it used to be, he knew that. It would never be normal again. Whatever normal is now.

The noise of nothing crept across the plains where Ash lived. None but wind set to challenge it. Broken glass and shattered morals tainted the floor he walked upon. School wasn't a school anymore, it was a camp to send children away to. Never to see them again. His parents had decided that fate upon him, though he did not deserve it. He had done nothing but what they asked but they never expected him to conform. So they made further ambitions for him which seemed to be impossible. But for him it was not. For him it was like clockwork. Wake up, listen to lectures from parents, do what asked, lectures again, self doubt. He was called hopeless. Useless. Broken.
But as long as he had hope he had a friend. Even if it waned, it was still there. Solid. Though his enemies outweighed his euphoria. Anxiety, depression, the everlasting feeling of failure which was carved into his heart. He was a captain of a burning ship, and it had finally sank and let go of its grasp upon the world.