ONE SHOT

I've rewritten the story, adding more details to enhance the narrative and deepen the characters. I hope you enjoy the new version!

Iris Winters

Carlos Mendez

Carlos Mendez

Third Person's POV

Third Person's POV

The sun was waging a valiant battle against the thick, oppressive clouds that had settled over Chicago. Despite its efforts, the sunlight only managed to pierce the gloom in feeble rays, casting a dim, grey light over the city. The month of August had arrived, bringing with it a chill in the breeze that seemed unusually harsh for the season. The crisp air cut through the morning like a blade, leaving those who ventured outside shivering in their coats and scarves.

In the heart of this bustling city, there was a house that, from the outside, appeared to embody the ideal American family. Neighbours admired the family's seemingly perfect life, often remarking on their apparent happiness and success. However, beneath this polished exterior, the truth was much more complex and far less idyllic.

Iris was deeply ensconced in sleep, her dreams a sanctuary from the tensions that marked her waking hours. The peaceful silence of her slumber was abruptly shattered by the sharp, insistent voices outside her room. Her eyes fluttered open, disoriented, as the persistent knocking on her door and her mother's harsh voice cut through the tranquillity of her rest.

With a start, Iris sat up in bed, her heart pounding as she tried to shake off the remnants of sleep. She stumbled out of bed, her legs still heavy with exhaustion, and hurried to the door. As she opened it, she was greeted by the sight of her mother's face, flushed with anger and frustration. Her mother's eyes were blazing, a clear indication of her displeasure.

"Good morning, Mom," Iris said softly, her voice trembling with a mixture of nervousness and embarrassment.

"I've been waiting for you for half an hour!" her mother's voice was sharp and unforgiving. "You're late again. Ariana needs to leave early today, and breakfast isn't ready. I need you to get downstairs and make breakfast right now."