19

"Happy birthday!" Sayuri yelled, catching the attention of the others around you. 

"Shh, stop yelling," you hit her shoulder, ducking your head in embarrassment. 

"What? Let everyone know. It's your birthday!" she yelled. 

You had yet to accept Taehyung, and find out whether Sayuri had lied to him. You could just ask him about it, but lately, she's been consuming all of your time. You could barely even see him, let alone talk to him. You weren't going to accept him over text, so you waited for a chance to talk to him but it never came. You sat at your desk, rubbing your eyes as you felt tired. Sayuri had kept you up past one with her phone call and you could only sneak in a single reply to Taehyung's message last night. 

You rolled your neck and prepared for class, eyes searching for Taehyung. You decided to accept him. Whatever happens next will happen. He was sitting in the back with Jimin, and he must have felt your gaze on him because he suddenly turned to look. He immediately smiled and you smiled back. 

"Oh my gosh! Look at this phone strap, it's so cute," Sayuri shoved her phone in your face. 

You looked up at her skeptically, watching her exaggerated expressions before looking at the phone strap which wasn't all that special to get excited over.

"Uh, Sayu, are you okay? Did you, like, drink ten cans of energy drink before coming to college?" 

"What? No, I'm just happy it's your birthday."

As if that's normal. She was never this excited for anything. Her behavior was odd, and thinking back on it, it was like she was trying her best to prevent you from interacting with others. Specifically one person. Your mind automatically jumped to conclusions, but you believed she would have told you if she liked Taehyung.... Right?

"Class, get in your seats."

You had to ask her sometime today, directly. You only had two hours in the evening, and after it was done, you had a birthday party. You could ask her there. But first, you had to invite Taehyung. You cautiously pulled out your phone and texted beneath the desk. 

You:
Hey, party at my place at six.
(address)

Dress code is semi-formal.

Tae:
Will be there 

Can I bring the others??

You:
Sure, bring however many people you like. 

See you there. 

Prof is watching. 

You pocketed your phone slyly and pretended to pay attention to class, wishing it would be over already. Sayuri and Taehyung  had the next class elsewhere, and you watched them rushing past you. A sudden pinch on your cheek alerted you and you fumbled with a pen in your hand as you found out it was Taehyung. He waved goodbye as he left and you waved back. 

The rest of the class went by in a blur, and before you knew it, you were practically running to leave the campus. You got into your car and drove home speedily, barely remembering when you were stuffed into a dress. It was a mild lemon yellow dress with off shoulders and it reached the floor, threaded with silver underneath so it shimmered as it moved. Stylists worked on your hair and after that, makeup artists worked on your face while you sat with sweaty palms. 

You only had two goals in mind. Accept Taehyung and confront Sayuri. And also avoid drugs and drinks whenever your parents weren't watching. Peer pressure must be common, but being pressured by your own parents to do such stuff was sick on a different level. You descended the stairs, a few guests - probably from your parents' office - already milling around on the first floor. 

You smiled politely and thanked them as they wished you, not even knowing who they were. 

"Happy birthday, Y/N," your mother greeted with a smile as soon as you entered the living room. 

"Thanks, mom," you smiled at her. 

"Come get your gift. You can open it later."

You walked over to her and received a gift-wrapped box from her. 

"Ugh," you sighed, throwing it onto the table where gifts would soon collect as soon as she turned her back to you. 

All the presents would most likely be expensive jewelry. Or dresses. Or gift cards. Or ornamental pieces. Stuff you already had in excess. Your father would give you something similar too, the first thing he sees when he passes by an expensive store while coming back from office. 

"Y/N!"

You turned around with mixed feelings as you faced Sayuri. A quick scan of the area indicated that Taehyung hadn't arrived yet. Maybe you should deal with your - probably backstabbing - best friend first.