preface

I ran. I ran and ran and ran down the slippery roads, my bare feet slapping against the pavement. My hair whipped into my face and my dress felt heavy with water. It'd once been pure white; now it was splattered with mud.

Thunder roared in the sky above but I couldn't have cared less as I dashed down the road, almost falling.

My hands gripping my dress to hitch it above my bare ankles, I continued my dash, my breathing heavy. My eyes were blinded by the relentless rain and my chest seemed to contract.

It'd been crazy from the start. But then again, I'd always been a bit crazy.

He was standing at the end of the road, hands in his pockets, waiting for me.

I ran on, slipping to a stop in front of him and one word fell from his lips, perfect in its entirety.

"Celeste."

My heart pounded as I looked at him, my lips slightly parted to allow some oxygen into my lungs as the rain continued to descend from the sky. There was so much I wanted to know. But I had so little time.

"Why?" I settled on that question first, locking eyes with him as he lifted a hand to push a sodden strand of hair from my face.

"I had no other choice."

"There's always a choice," I said, angrily.

"Not always," he laughed, softly. Then his eyes turned grave. "If I could, I would go and take it all back."

My eyes stung with fresh tears. "You don't have to go..." My voice came out in barely a whisper.

A small smile ghosted his lips. "I do. I told you from the beginning that I wouldn't stay."

"And Lex?" I called out as he began to back away. "What about her?"

"I love her," he said, quietly. "She's my sister and I love her. But I can't stay. Not with the circumstances."

"I'll wait for you," I whispered, the tears escaping and he raised his gaze to mine.

"Don't," he murmured, stepping closer and intertwining our hands, his thumb moving over my knuckles.

"Please," I choked out, looking up at him with pleading eyes. "I need you to stay with me."

He looked away, shaking his head, slowly before reaching up with his other hand and letting it rest on my wet cheek, tracing patterns.

"Celeste." Again, just my name but I felt myself buzzing.

"You'll always be my star," he whispered, kissing my forehead one last time before moving away. He began to walk backwards down the road, his eyes solemn.

"And you," I said, quietly, not knowing whether he could hear me or not. "Will always be my prince in jeans."