f o u r t e e n

It was weird waking up the next morning. 

Harry was standing in the balcony, watching the sunrise, a steaming cup in one hand, the other resting on the railing. 

Even from where I lay, I could make out the bruises staining his skin and I sat up, sleepily, rubbing my eyes. 

Harry turned at the noise of the sheets rustling and he smiled, gently, eyes turning amber in the sunlight. 

"Morning," he said, sipping from his mug.

"Hey," I covered my mouth with the back of my hand as I yawned and stretched my arms. "What's going on?" 

"Elena called to see how you were," he answered, walking into the room. He added, quietly, "You should go see her."

And something in his tone told me he didn't want me. Not today anyway. He needed to be on his own and he needed to be able to think. He was suggesting I leave for a few days. 

My chest contracted, painfully but I put on a smile and got to my feet. 

"I'll go see her after I get ready," I said and I made sure my voice was steady. "I think I'll stay there for a couple of days." 

Harry's eyes searched my face for any uncertainty, any pain, any emotion at all but he didn't find any and so he just nodded. 

I turned and left him standing there.

"I'll see you soon, yeah?" He let a little emotion slide into his voice as we stood on his doorstep about fifteen minutes later.

"Harry," I said, smiling, "I live right opposite you. Of course, you'll see me."

"I..." His eyes left my face and focused on the ground behind me. "I just need some...some time to figure things out a bit, Cel. It's nothing to do with you--" 

I cut him off and kissed his cheek, softly. "I get it, Harry. It's okay. I understand." And a part of me did. 

He smiled and dipped his head down to kiss me, cold lips against mine. "Mm, see you soon."

"See you," I said, turning away and heading back to my mother's house. 

Elena and Lex were pouring over a magazine when I arrived. 

I was greeted with hugs and exclamations and then was ushered into a seat. 

"My company is throwing a party next weekend," said Elena, cheeks pink from excitement. "There's a good sale on at the mall and Lex and I are thinking of going shopping." 

"You should come along, too," said Lex, eagerly. "That is, if you're going to come to the party." 

"I don't know..." I started but then I saw Elena's face fall and I made my decision. "Actually, I would love to come."

I've never seen my mother look happier.

• 

"Oh my gosh," Lex squealed, her eyes widening as the door to the café we were sitting at jingled open. "It's the twins." 

Elena peered over my shoulder, glancing up from her menu. "Oh, them."

I moved the pile of bags with all our shopping away and scooted further down the sofa, angling my head so I could see who had just walked in. 

Two of the most good-looking guys I'd ever seen had just stepped in and I nearly fell to the floor in shock.