Chapter Two

Night fell before we realized it.

It was the worst and best for the tactics. It was worst because my men wouldn't be able to see the enemies, and they could have been attacked off guard. But best because the enemy won't see them and my men can maneuver almost undetected.

It's been a few years since I had joined the Waffen-SS, which was back in 1937, and I've endured hell and walked through it many times. I had witnessed the bitter endings of men who weren't careful enough, or ones who happened to be within an enemy rifle's sight.

I've participated in the invasions of major lands such as Poland and France, and now we're losing them. France is almost being taken by the Allies. If we took one more step back with our feet, perhaps we would be in Poland.

I even marched through my home country, Austria, when it was annexed. A surge of nostalgia came back to me, and at times I wanted to be under my mother's arms. No matter how old I am, I still fear what men fears the most in war.

I remembered when I saw my mother and father as they waved the small red banner and my younger siblings cheered along. I smiled to myself as I stroked the battered photograph of my family. I recalled my wife, who I married just prior to the annexation. I took out another photo from my pocket.

"Herr Obersturmführer?"

I sighed and shut my eyes, hoping that he would leave me alone.

"Who's that?" The curiosity swelled in Althaus' young voice. "Is she--"

"You're supposed to be patrolling, Althaus," I said, mixing in a tone of sternness. I pocketed the small photo.

"Ah, yes. Sorry. I'll be going back now." Althaus' voice faded as he stepped away.

I discharged myself from the men and carried myself out over the fields. No one would bother me now. All I wanted was some downtime.

What has this gone into? Before I had kept my morale high and now I seem to fear the enemy, as if they lurk under each shadow that reached out during the night. There could be one that was watching me this instant, with my head locked in his scope, finger hovered over the trigger---

"Hey--"

I pulled out my bayonet and tackled the unknown figure. He grunted and tried to make out words. The enemy would attack at night, who else would follow me out from our campground? Only a wandering Soviet would. I kept a tight grip on his throat and he attempted to shove me off. Suddenly I froze as I realized that my bayonet hovered over one of my men. The runes reflected off some stray light.

"Damn it, Glöckner. Don't alarm me like that," I said. He was catching his breath and his eyes were widened.

"You--you almost--"

"Yes, and I apologize. Now what do you want?" Glöckner's expressions were unknown since the surroundings were almost entirely deprived of light, but I could sense his total shock.

"The partisans have moved. They're not in the same spot they were earlier in the day," Glöckner spoke.

"Well of course they've moved. But it is our job to find them, yes?" I could hear a smile forming on his face.

I visioned my plans mentally for a second, then returned my eyes to Glöckner's silhouette. "Tell the men to start cleaning up, we're moving out soon."

"Jawohl!" The clack of his gears responded and he ran off.

**********

I trekked through the field to return to the campground, and I could see a funnel of smoke rising. There were men, all my NCOs, huddled around the fireplace as they ate their rations and rambled on.