Chapter 4- Luz at the Gates

The sound of sharp footsteps startled an exhausted Amity. If Luz got no sleep, Amity got less- she didn't even bat an eye. She only had two thoughts: fear for Luz's safety, and planning when the best time would be to punch her mom in the face. The iron door unlatched, the clack of heels accompanying the creak of the opening cage. "Hello, Mother. Here to torment me more?" Her voice was hoarse and accusatory, having been kept in the cell all night with just a small meal and single glass of water.

Odalia looked in disgust at the state of her daughter. Her exquisitely dyed hair was ruffled and falling out of her neatly crafted ponytail, her golden eyes surrounded by dark circles and brows furrowed in disobedient anger. Her uniform was in tatters- this simply wouldn't do. She would have to have her cleaned up before meeting with the Emperor after everything plays out. "What I said last night was justified given the secrets you kept from me all summer," she sneered. At one point the night before, Odalia had visited her to scold her for lying about Luz, as well as rub in just how dire the situation would be if she disobeyed. She walked further into the cell and looked down to face the witchling. "But that's in the past. If all goes well, in a few hours none of it will be relevant. You know the plan I assume?"

"No thanks to you," Amity hissed, "I'm guessing that's what you were sent here to do last night, but Kikimora's reminder was the closest I got to an explanation of what exactly you want me to do. And let me say, I'm not a fan."

"I don't care if you like it or not, Amity." The tall, sophisticated woman briefly lost her tact and looked as if she would spit venom, which knocked Amity back a bit in anticipation of more scolding. Instead, she regained her composure and continued, "Your role in the Emperor's Coven is to follow orders, not to think about them. That girl is an enemy of Emperor Belos, and it is your responsibility to bring that criminal to justice."

"But she's not a criminal," Amity shouted in defense, "She's sweet, and funny, and adorable when she laughs, and-"

"Amity Blight, that is enough! If I had just a little bit less faith in you, I would think you were in love with that... that thing!" Odalia's shouting echoed through the Conformatorium, catching the attention of the other prisoners. Amity scooted back in embarrassment and terror, hoping her mother wouldn't catch on to her true feelings. That would only get her in more trouble. But before she could defend herself, a guard walked in bearing news.

"Mrs. Blight, the human is at the gate."

Odalia glanced down at Amity before responding in her usual cool, collected tone; "I'll be right out. Bring my daughter to the chamber for our little trap." And with a final smirk at a horrified Amity, Mrs. Blight walked off to retrieve Luz.

...

Outside of the Emperor's Coven, Luz was being escorted by two guards to the gate when a slim, wicked-looking figure stepped out to greet her. "Luz the human," the woman chuckled, "You may have evaded Miss Clawthorne's grasp, but believe me, I am not so easy to sway."

Luz knew it was the new head of the Emperor's coven, but had not yet put two and two together. "You. You're the one who kidnapped Amity!" Luz considered attacking her right then and there, but reminded herself why she was there. "I'm not gonna fight. Just let me see that she's safe, and I'll do whatever you want."

The woman began to laugh once more. "Kidnapped? Why would I want to hurt my own daughter?"

It was now that she saw the bright green hair and the connection finally clicked

It was now that she saw the bright green hair and the connection finally clicked. Still, she got the impression that this was the kind of woman who would do anything to get what she wanted, even at the expense of her own family. "Because you're a wicked witch!"

Odalia frowned, but returned her face quickly to a more professional expression. "Come along, human, Amity is expecting you. She's so excited to see you, for reasons I find impossible to comprehend."

"Amity," Luz muttered, her heart skipping a beat when she thought of seeing Amity one last time, possibly even hugging before they were ripped apart again. She was excited to see her? After their last interaction, Luz assumed Amity wanted nothing to do with her. But oddly enough, these words from her mother of all people comforted her in the fact that Amity was thinking of her just as Luz thought of her. Before she knew it, she was being led through the towering door of the Coven building and down the golden, pipe-covered halls to the chamber Amity was being held in. "I'm coming for you, Amity," she reassured under her breath, "Don't worry."