Chapter 4 (Claire POV)

Well that was weird, since when does the school's resident bad-ass Kyle Storm's care about anyone other than himself? I always just assumed his heart sat in his stomach somewhere like a rock, or maybe it just shrivelled up and died.

He had a strange seriousness to his tone that made me realise he really wanted me to let Zach down easily, and I would, not for Storms' sake, but for Zach's. He was a nice enough guy when he was away from Storms and the others, but I didn't feel an initial attraction to him, talking to him felt like talking with a friend.
I got the feeling though, that Storms didn't trust my promise and that ate at me a bit, not that I care what he thinks, but that he would question my word like that; it hurt my pride a little.

I felt much calmer now, thanks to the hour I spent working out my anger on the punching bag at home, and while I was still upset about what I had done at the hospital, I had a grip on myself again, enough so that I'd managed to find the funny side of having to work with Storms.
If I'd found that out before my workout, I have no doubt that things would've turned out very differently.

It felt weird though, to think I'd had an actual conversation with Storms that didn't involve insults. Or at least not that many.

We hadn't said a word to each other after our little deal in class, and still didn't talk as we walked towards the car park. I walked beside Kelly, carry my bag over my shoulder, as she told me about what she planned on wearing to the party this weekend, while Storms kept his distance, but wasn't subtle about listening in.

I still wasn't interested in going to the party, I never did, they never really agreed with me, or more I didn't agree with them.

Kelly waved goodbye and headed off to where Brett waited by his truck and the two practically fell into each other's arms and started making out as if they hadn't seen each other in months. They'd never been a couple who shied away from PDA.
I fake gagged and shook my head at them before jumping in my car and shoving the keys into the ignition. Glancing in my rear-view mirror, I caught sight of Storms and his friends standing across the aisle by his car, leaning into the doors and talking, but Storms stood by the driver's door, staring at the back of my car.

If he had laser-vision, there'd be a hole in my boot.

Before I reversed out, Davey and Blaine disappeared to find their cars and Zach climbed into Storms' ute. I didn't think anything of it, if Zach didn't drive to school today he must be getting dropped off. I pulled out of the parking lot with the ute hot on my trail and headed home, feeling like I was being tailed by the police as Storms kept up with me. I sighed in annoyance as it only occurred to me then that my sworn enemy was following me to my house.
Dammit.

Pulling into the street, I hit the button on my keychain to open the garage and pulled in, killing the engine and grabbing my bag before hopping out and heading to the front door as the garage door swung closed again. The ute pulled into the driveway and parked before both boys got out.

"Nice house." Zach said with a whistle, while Storms looked unimpressed by our two-storey red brick house.

My mum and I were well off enough, her job as a partner in a real estate company kept us comfortable, but we're not rich, she works long hours to keep our heads above water.
"Thanks." I said and headed towards the front door with both boys following close behind. I paused and turned to Storms. "You can leave now." I shot a look at him as he tucked his keys into his back pocket, suddenly smiling rather than glaring. He could change his moods faster than a PMSing girl on a bad day, it was a wonder he didn't get whiplash from it.

"I'm staying for the study session." He told me, smirking. "Figured that since you're such a good tutor, you could take on another student." Beside him, Zach smiled and nodded, obviously they had discussed it on the way here in the car. Sneaky little bastards.