6) Books

Sometimes when I have to do something I don't want to do. I pretend I'm a character from a book. It's easier to know what they would do.
- Cassandra Clare

Olive pov

The rain is pummelling down on my already soaking head. My hand is up above my head trying to limit the amount of raindrops landing on me as I run through the streets of Cornwall.

Don't get me wrong, a little rain isn't too bad, but when it is absolutely chucking it down like it is right now then I hate it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I am the sun goddess and love the sun though.

I am on my way to the bookstore/library I discovered last Friday. It is a quaint little thing, befitting it's old bookstore outlook.

It is in the corner of a street, not very far from Daisy's Cafe, but it still seems like a long way for me to run in the rain. By the time I get there I'm already soaked to the bone.

I open the old, brown, wooden door and step in. A bell goes off indicating I have entered. The shop is warm, a nice contrast to the freezing winter outside.

The shop itself has a nice vibe to it. It smells like books, which in my opinion is one of the best smells ever. Along every wall and along shelves in the middle of the store are rows upon rows of books.

You can find any book you could possibly want in here. There are fantasy, classics, children's books, adult fiction, non fiction, anything. I wouldn't have minded working here, but the owner says he doesn't get many customers and couldn't afford help anyway.

"Olive, is that you?" a croaky voice calls out from behind a bookshelf.

"Yes Mr Banks." I call out to him.

"I've told you to call me Thomas, Olive." he tells me while coming out from behind a bookcase.

I laugh. Thomas Banks is a kind old man. He looks about 70 but has told me he is 81. He bends over slightly and shuffles about everywhere. His hair had turned fully white and he has wrinkles all over his face. His bright blue eyes twinkle when he talks. He always wears some brown trousers and a blue and white jumper over a white t-shirt.

I have told him he should be retired, but he says he lives for his job and doesn't want to stop. He has also said he doesn't have enough money to quit anyway. He doesn't want to abandon his business but he doesn't have any relatives to pass it down to. He says he was born with books and will die with them.

"What will you be taking today Olive?" he asks me whilst shuffling towards me.

"Do you have the last book in the mortal instruments series, its called City of Heavenly Fire." I ask him.

"Of course I do." he says.

He shuffles off in search of the book while I wait at the door. He returns not long after holding the book I want.

"Here you go." he smiles whilst handing it to me.

"Thanks Thomas." I smile back at him.

"No problem. How're you doing? Any updates with Mr Stare-A-Lot?" he attempts to wiggle his eyebrows whilst saying this but only succeeds in squinting his eyes.

I roll my eyes at him. Yes, I told him about Alex. Thomas is just so nice and its easy to start talking around him so I ended up telling him everything - minus the whole sun goddess thing.

"He actually asked me out on a date." I tell him.

"What did I tell you. I told you you'd end up with him. Ah, you'll be getting married soon, and then I'll remind you how you used to complain about him to me." he smirks.