Three

we play to win

Asters POV

"This was a terrible idea" Theo hissed beside me.

I ignored him and instead surveyed the room. Goyle's house wasn't as luxurious and grand as I thought it would be. I had always had the notion that all pure blood families were wealthy beyond their riches and lived in opulence.

Goyle lived in a townhouse in north London, definitely by no means impoverished but the house was narrow and instead influenced by modern furnishings and mirrored a more working class manner. The living room took up half the first floor, a large couch against a wall was already occupied by drunken teenagers, seemingly playing a game of cards. Music was playing obnoxiously loud out of a gramophone. My eyes instantly found Blaise. He was exactly were he was supposed to be, unfortunately that was on the arm of Pansy Parkinson.

"Remember stay close to me at all times" Theo murmured urgently before we stepped into the crowded room.

It was pure luck that Blaise was also invited to this party. Theo was also invited, being a pure blood himself, he was usually automatically invited to these things. I was to be Theo's plus one, I couldn't be Blaise's due to the innuendo that Pansy's invitation meant.

A party at Gregory Goyle's house was not ideal, but it would help me set some ground work for my plan. We hadn't informed the order yet, I wasn't sure if I trusted them. I promised Blaise I would tell them after tonight.

My skin was prickling with adrenaline akin to nerves. It was definitely not excitement. It felt like my blood was pulsating in every inch of my veins, bubbling and growing rather impatient with every step. I was busy focusing on keeping my mind closed to others, this was a test inside of a test for me. A way to train my magic in behaving itself around my enemies and around so many people.

Unfortunately my stomach was also swirling with doubt and wariness. This party wasn't just an ordinary get together, this was Draco Malfoy's 18th birthday party.

This was a fact I insisted was not important. Blaise wasn't dumb however, he knew this meant Draco would be in a mood.

I convinced the pair of them that it meant it would be easier for my plan.

Currently, Pansy was talking intimately with Blaise in one corner. But as soon as we made it to the middle of the room, Blaise lifted his eyes to find us. He smiled grimly before nodding to Pansy. Pansy lifted her gaze and found me hanging off the arm of pure-blooded Theodore Nott. Not someone that she was ultimately close to, Theo was to them, a neutral party and I was hoping that Blaise and I were also considered neutral.

The air in the room stilled as Pansy looked us up and down. My breath hitched. She was the one to confirm whether it was safe for us to be here. She wasn't a Death Eater, as far as we could tell, but Pansy Parkinson was an affluent influential in this world.

After a few tense cold seconds, her eyes squinted and she smiled mischievously at me. I let out a breath and felt Theo relax beside me.

"Theodore Nott and Aster Flint, now this is a pair I never saw coming. I definitely should have though." She exclaimed, proudly walking up to welcome us. Blaise joined her, burying his hands in his pockets and smiling close-lipped at me and Theo.

"Hope it's ok I brought Flint?" Theo asked Pansy, keeping his tone level and slightly uninterested in her actual answer.

"Of course. This will definitely be interesting" Pansy sneered, her eyes examining my dress.

The order had delivered my school trunk to the safe house soon after I first arrived. The only dress I had for tonight was one I usually reserved on nights out at The Shambles in Hogsmeade. It was a simple black silk slip dress that fell to my upper thighs, I had paired it with my only black strappy heels. It was simple but it seemed to work. Theo wouldn't stop staring at my legs as I walked down the stairs of Grimmauld Place.