Friendship is Magic: Part 2

"Seize her!" ordered the mayor of Ponyville. "Only she knows where the Princess is!"
Three royal guards armored in gold had sprang up and were flying towards the black winged unicorn who had threatened eternal night towards Equestria and hidden the Princess of the sun.
"Stand back, you fools!" Nightmare Moon's eyes glowed blue and more lightning had shot from the ceiling as the pony laughed. Her purple-blue misty mane had formed around her and she had disappeared into the mist, which floated quickly out the door of the Town Hall where the Summer Sun Celebration was supposed to have been held.
Rainbow Dash had escaped the grasp of Applejack who had her tail in her mouth, meant to restrain her from charging into the evil pony and causing a scene. The pegasus chased after the mist through the open door and stopped, for it got away.
"Nighttime..." muttered Rainbow through tired pants, "Forever?"
She looked down to see Twilight Sparkle dash out of the hall with her assistant, Spike, on her back. "Where's she going?" Rainbow Dash wondered.

Spike was laying in a basket, snoring. He suddenly jerked up. "We gotta stop Nightmare!" he said, but fell back asleep. Twilight laid a blanket on top of the baby dragon.
"You've been up all night, Spike," she said. "You are a baby dragon, after all."
The unicorn went down into the library, tossing books aside. "Elements, elements, elements, ugh! How can I stop Nightmare Moon without the Elements of Harmony?"
"And just what are the Elements of Harmony?" Rainbow Dash demanded, suddenly getting up in Twilight's face. The pegasus pushed her backwards as she demanded answers from her. "And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh? Are you a spy?"
Dash exclaimed in surprise as Applejack bit her tail and pulled her back out of Twilight's face. Spitting it out, she sighed. "Simmer down, Sally. She ain't no spy," she said. She and the other four ponies from before were advancing towards Twilight now. "But she sure knows what's goin' on, don't you Twilight?"
Disregarding how all five of them had gotten inside, Twilight explained. "I read all about the prediction of Nightmare Moon. Some mysterious objects called the Elements of Harmony are the only things that can stop her. But I don't know what they are, where to find them, I don't even know what they do!"
"The Elements of Harmony, a reference guide," came Pinkie Pie's voice from a bookshelf in the front of the library.
Twilight rushed over and shoved the pink earth pony aside. "How did you find that?"
"It was under E!" the pony's voice chimed as she bounced across the room.
"Oh." Twilight used her unicorn magic to levitate the book off of the shelf and opened it, flipping through pages. "There are six Elements of Harmony," she read aloud, "but only five are known: kindness, laughter, generosity, honesty, and loyalty. The sixth is a complete mystery. It is said that the last known location of the five Elements was in the ancient castle of the royal pony sisters."
The purple-blue mist floated by the library window as if peering in and flew aside before the others would see it.
Twilight continued, "It is located in what is now the Everfree forest."

The six ponies were standing on a path that led into the wild forest, trembling in fear before it.
"Whee!" said Pinkie Pie in excitement. "Let's go--"
"Not so fast!" Twilight stopped her. "Look, I appreciate the offer, but I'd really rather do this on my own."
"No can do, Sugar Cube," said Applejack. "We sure ain't lettin' any friend of ours go into that creepy place alone."
Twilight cringed at the word "friend".
"We're stickin' to you like caramel on a candy apple," the Orange workhorse continued, the five ponies starting into the forest, giving their signal of approval.
"Especially if there are candy apples in there!" Pinkie Pie added. "What? Those things are good!"
Twilight Sparkle sighed and followed the ponies into the Everfree forest.

"So, none of you have been in here before?" Twilight asked.
"Why, heavens no," answered Rarity. "Just look at it! It's dreadful."
"And it ain't natural," added Applejack. "Folks say it don't work the same as the rest of Equestria."
As she spoke, the purple mist had secretly seeped into the cracks of the rock on the side of the cliff the ponies were walking down.
"What's that supposed to mean?" Twilight asked the farm pony.
"No pony knows," said Rainbow Dash in an eerie tone of voice as she flew out of the darkness ahead towards the six ponies. "You know why?" she said, creeping towards a frightened Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie.
"Rainbow, quit it!" barked Applejack.
Ignoring her, Rainbow Dash continued. "'Cause everypony who's ever come in had never come out!"
Suddenly, a large portion of the ledge broke off, sending anypony that didn't have wings sliding down the cliff. "Fluttershy, quick!" ordered Rainbow as she dived down.
The yellow pegasus followed. "Oh, my goodness, oh my goodness!"
The four others were sliding down the cliff side, screaming in fear. Rainbow Dash had gotten Pinkie Pie and was holding her while Fluttershy dived down to save Rarity.
Applejack had caught a tree root in her mouth and stopped sliding, but Twilight had gone down and was nearly dangling off a ledge.
Applejack let go of the root and slowly went down to where Twilight was hanging off the side of the cliff. "Hold on," she said, "I'm a-comin'."
The orange earth pony had grabbed Twilight's hooves but couldn't pull her up.
"Applejack," said Twilight, unable to find a foothold on the side of the cliff, "what do I do?"
Twilight cringed but suddenly relaxed. "Let go," she said.
"Are you crazy?"
"No, I ain't. I promise you'll be safe."
"That's not true!"
"Now, listen here. What I'm satin' to you is the honest truth. Let go, and you'll be safe."
Twilight closed her eyes and let go of Applejack's grasp. Screaming, she plummeted towards the ground but was caught by Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, who lowered her safely to the ground as Applejack hopped from ledge to ledge toward the ground.
The pegasai jerked suddenly. "Sorry, girls," said Flittershy. "I'm not used to holding anything more than a bunny or two."
The purple mist floated silently past the hooves of the ponies and into the silhouette of a rotating monster.