Friendship is Magic: part 1

Once upon a time, in the magical land of Equestria, there were two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land. To do this, the eldest used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn. The younger brought out the moon to begin the night. The two sisters maintained balance for their kingdom and their subjects, all different types of ponies. But as time went on, the younger sister became relentless. The ponies relished and played in the day her elder sister brought fourth but shunned and slept through her beautiful night. One fateful day, the younger alicorn refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn. The elder sister tried to reason with her, but the bitterness in the young one's heart had transformed her into a wicked mare of darkness: Nightmare Moon. She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night. Reluctantly, the elder sister harnessed the most powerful magic known to ponies: the Elements of Harmony. Using the magic of the Elements of Harmony, she defeated her younger sister and vanished her permanently in the moon.
"The elder sister took on responsibility of both sun and moon and harmony has been maintained in Equestria for generations since," read a purple Unicorn as she laid beneath a tree in Canterlot. "Hmm," she said to herself, "Elements of Harmony. I know I've heard of those before. But where?"
The Unicorn tucked the book away and walked down the city streets, running into three other unicorns on the way there. "There you are, Twilight!" interrupted a cream-colored pony with a pink, curled mane. "Moon Dancer is having a little get together in the West Castle courtyard. Wanna Come?" The three ponies eagerly looked at Twilight, waiting for her to say yes.
"Oh, sorry, girls," said Twilight. "I've got a lot of studying to catch up on." She ran past the ponies and dashed down the streets to the tower where her library was.
The white unicorn sighed. "Does that pony do anything except study? I think she's more interested in books than friends."
Twilight continued to run down the winding roads. "I know I've heard of the Elements of Harmony," she said to herself, ignoring any other ponies that might have tried to get her attention. Throwing open the French doors to the library, she ran in calling for her assistant, Spike. The purple and green baby dragon was laying on the floor from being hit by the doors she had barged through. "There you are. Quick, find me an old copy of Predictions and Prophecies," she requested, when she saw that a crushed box wrapped in red paper and topped with a yellow bow had been jammed through Spike's tail. "What's that for?" she asked.
"Well," answered Spike, "it was a gift from Moon Dancer, but..." A ruined teddy bear fell out of the box.
"Oh, Spike, you know we don't have time for that sort of thing," said Twilight as she pushed aside different books from the shelves and piles of her library.
"But, we're on a brake!" Spike argued.
Ignoring the small dragon, Twilight ignited her purple unicorn magic and used it to levitate books off the higher shelves. Quickly examining the covers, she threw the books aside. "No, no, no, no, no, no! Ugh. SPIKE!"
"It's over here!" he called from the top of a ladder, waving a large, blue book in the air. Twilight pried it from his claws with her magic and brought it down to where she was. "Ah!" she exclaimed as she brought the book to a stand.
"Elements, Elements," she muttered as she flipped through the pages, "E, E, E... Aha! Elements of Harmony! See Mare in the Moon?"
"Mare in the Moon?" Spike had overheard. "But that's just an old pony's tale."
Ignoring him, Twilight continued to flip through the pages. "Mare, Mare... Aha! The Mare in the Moon, myth from olden pony times. A powerful pony who wanted to rule Equestria, defeated by the Elements of Harmony and imprisoned in the moon. Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the Stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal! Spike, do you know what this means?"
"No," he said, falling off another ladder and landing on the unicorn's back. She handed him a scroll and quill. "Take a note, please," she requested, "to the Princess."
"Okey, Dokey," he said as he jumped off her and began writing.
"My dearest teacher," said Twilight as she paced around the library, "my continuing studies of pony magic have led me to discover that we are on the presevus of disaster--"
"Hold on," said Spike. "Presse... Presse..." He looked at her, confused. He must not have known how to spell it.
"Threshold," Twilight replaced her word.
"Thre..."
"Uhh, brink?"
Spike just looked at her.
"Ugh. That something really bad is about to happen!"
Finally understanding, Spike continued to write.
"For you see," she continued, "the mythical Mare in the Moon is in fact Nightmare Moon and she is about to return to Equestria and bring with her eternal night! Something must be done to make sure this terrible prophecy does not come true. I await your quick response. Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle."
"Twilight Sparkle!" Spike finished. "Got it!"
"Great!" said Twilight. "Send it."
"Now?" asked Spike.
"Why, of course!"
"I dunno, Twilight. The Princess is kinda busy getting ready for the Summer Sun Celebration. And it's like, the day after tomorrow."
"That's just it, Spike. The day after tomorrow is the thousandth year of the Summer Sun Celebration! It's imperitted that the Princess is told right away."
"Imperi... Imperi..."
"Important!" the sound of the unicorn's voice was enough to throw the baby dragon back against a bookshelf. "Okay, okay," he said, blowing a purple flame onto the scroll as it vanished into mid air. The smoke traveled up and out of an open window. "There," he said, "it's on its way. But I wouldn't hold your breath!"
"Oh, I'm not worried, Spike. The Princess trusts me completely. In all the years she's been my mentor she's never once doubted me."
The dragon suddenly belched fourth a scroll surrounded by green smoke that landed in front of Twilight. "See?" she said. "I knew she'd want to take immediate action."
Spike picked up the scroll, cleared his throat, and began reading. "My dearest most faithful student, Twilight, you know that I value your diligence and that I trust you completely..."
"Mmhmm!"
"But you simply must stop reading those dusty old books!"
Twilight gasped.