Mele

When arriving home Pahu went immediately to the kitchen. Lira sat quietly while she watched her sister make a late supper. Pahu seemed to dance around the kitchen, and has always been the better cook, making mountain soup. Lira was reminded of the simpler times where it was not just the two. Finishing the soup Pahu gave her a bowl and sat down as they both ate while talking in rhythm.

     Pahu was a tall individual whose wings were made of gold, with a loose-fitting halter wrapped in her form. Much like her own hair, Pahu's was snow-white, but she wrapped hers in a messy bun. Pahu had a much lighter skin tone which brought out her silver eyes. The eyes started haughty at most, but those whom she cared for, though the number had significantly gone down. While she knew Pahu cared she was often strict because of the loss of her parents. Lira knew Pahu would not live if she was to die, so she stayed with her, after all, Pahu was all she had left.

     Lira looked over to Pahu and often reminded her of their mother, Pū, while Lira reminded her of our father Kīkā. Lira remembers what supper time would be like. Pū would make the sisters laugh as she danced around the kitchen, while Kīkā played the guitar in the background. When Pū was done cooking she would give the biggest portions to the sisters and left the scrawny bits for her and Kīkā. The air seemed to glow as Kīkā would tell tales of his travels near and far, and it would make Lira and Pahu laugh.

     Pū and Kīkā Mele were kind souls who raised their two young girls with passion and love. Pū was a stout woman whose feathered wings were pure gold and eyes with a silver tinge, with hair as white as snow. Pū was a tough lady who was fiercely protective of those she loved. Kīkā was a beast of a man who stood tall with pure white wings, and eyes of jade green. He was a gentle giant and always was happy. The two matched were loving parents who were devoted to each other, and till the end, they remained that way.

      It was just a few years ago when tragedy struck. A man had walked up the hill towards the house and waited. Pū told her young girls to go inside and wait, while Kīkā moved out and began to talk with the man. A white pueo flying overhead made a loud squawk as Pū came to a realization. Then a yelling match started and Pū went outside to help her beloved. The two girls gazed quietly through the window at the adults, as the man in a rage started to attack Kīkā. Though their mother and he tried to fight them off they watched in despair and the man killed both of them. When the man glanced over at the window the girls were watching through, they scurried away. By some miracle, the man, seemingly appeased by no other soul being at the house, turned and left followed by a white pueo. The sisters were never the same.

     As Lira snapped out of her thoughts, she looked upon her sister with sorrowful eyes. Pahu gently spoke, "Thinking about them again?" Lira slowly nodded her head, her eyes once again filling with tears. Pahu slowly got up and embraced her, "I miss them too." Pahu got up and cleaned the plates. She turned towards her downtrodden sister, "Let's get you to bed. Tomorrow we go visit them" Pahu gently led Lira towards her bed and sat with her quietly running her hands through Lira's hair. "Can you sing to me, Kaikuaʻana?" Lira quietly asked. Pahu nodded her head and began to sing the gentle lullaby of the wind.

     Lira closed her eyes and relaxed as sleep gently took her away. Pahu stayed there at her sister's side until Lira answered the call of sleep. "Good night, Har. Let the wind rock you to sleep." Pahu said as she ran her fingers through Lira's hair. Pahu got up silent and walked towards the door before walking out. She spoke to her sleeping sister, "Their loss will get better over time, I promise." Pahu closed the door and made it to her bed.