02 solitude

━━ The moon was shaped like a silver crescent that night, surrounded by gleaming stars. It was so beautiful and picture-perfect that if you weren't in a daze, you would've mistaken it for a painting.

The gloomy dark blanket of a sky made the grass darker than it was during the daytime, making it where you couldn't see the usual bright green that it displayed when under the sun. You were lying in the patch of grass in front of the bakery, gazing up at the dark grey clouds and stars that were hiding behind them. The chirping sound of crickets and occasional engine from a car were the only things you could hear.

It was around midnight, and you couldn't sleep. The urge to go and relax to the cool night air was strong enough to bring you outside. There was a
soft breeze in the air, making the longer stands of grass sway like they were dancing along to a song playing in the distance. The song to you was the rythm of the crickets.

You've been staring up at the sky and feeling the cold air nip at your skin for about thirty minutes now. It felt peaceful; so peaceful that you wished you could stay in this solitude forever. Unfortunately, that was just a wish and soon you would have to go back inside and lay under the roof of your dreadful warm room. Your room wasn't even close to this, because to you outside under the stars was like heaven, and inside was like hell.

It was the sound of the door opening that pulled your gaze away from the stars. You turned to see your cousin standing in the doorway of the dark bakery, rubbing at his eyes in a sleepy manner. This wasn't an unusual situation, since you two often ended up meeting outside coincidentally. You both loved taking a breath of fresh air in the middle of the night.

He sat next to you and pulled his knees up to his chest, softly resting his chin in the crook of his bent knees. The two of you said nothing to each other and just silently enjoyed the peace. This is how it always was, and even though your life didn't seem too bad, it was boring. You longed for something new to be added to your routine.

Work. You were working again, serving costumers and occasionally taking orders when your grandmother asked you to. The day was nice, with fresh air blowing through the building while the sliding glass doors were kept open. It didn't feel so hot compared to other days, so you tried your best to enjoy it as much as possible.

Through the large glass window and past the heads belonging to customers, you could see big fluffy clouds taking over the entire blue sky. Some were shaped like mountains while others reminded you of whales or mermaids.

You shifted your gaze down to the watch on your wrist to check the time, seeing that it was three hours away from closing time. Every two hours you were allowed to take a fifteen minute break, but your grandmother wasn't strict when it came to that rule. She never minded when you and your cousin took longer. Your cousin always took advantage of that, taking hour long naps and never showing back up for a while.

Feeling overwhelmed by the building's sweet smell and warmth surrounding you, you decided to go outside for a few minutes so that you could watch the clouds from there. As soon as you left the building, your body felt lighter as the wind blew by faster than it did inside. It seemed like if you were to spread your arms, they would become wings and fly you up to the sky so that you could hang out with the clouds up close.

Unfortunately, you were stuck on the empty sidewalk where barely anyone was passing by. You didn't mind that, of course, but the feeling of being so carefree with no thoughts would be better than this.

As you stood there, arms crossed and eyes paying close attention to the clouds, you suddenly felt a lingering presence near your left side. Turning your head, you met eyes with a smiling face. It was that boy from the day before, who had drooled all over the table. Luckily, his friend made him clean it up so that you didn't have to.

He was waving energetically, smiling wider once he saw that you were staring back. You quirked an eyebrow, confused as to why he was standing next to you instead of passing by or going inside.

"Sorry for yesterday." He suddenly spoke, but from the smile on his face, he didn't seem sorry at all.

You looked away from him and back at the clouds. "Okay."

He stared at you for a few seconds with furrows brows and a frown. "Okay?" He questioned, frown deepening when you just nod. He sighs at your lack of acknowledgment towards him. "I didn't want to apologize, y'know. So don't act like I did this on my own."

You shrug. "I wasn't upset, so an apology doesn't really matter."

He pursed his lips as silence passed by the two of you, and after a few minutes, you could still feel his presence of him standing next to you. You turn your head and see that he was on his phone, leaning casually against the wall of the bakery.

"Why are you still here?" The question wasn't meant to come out in such a rude tone, but the oblivious boy didn't seem to notice or just didn't care.

He smiled up at you and pocketed his phone. "I want something sweet. You're the (waiter/waitress) here, aren't you?"

You narrowed your eyelids in confusion and annoyance. "There's more than just me."

His smiling face went away, and now he looked serious. "That's a lie. I don't see that guy in there do anything."

He must've been talking about your cousin, because when you looked through the window you could see him sitting at one of the table with a cupcake stuffed inside of his mouth. The boy next to you laughed hysterically when you scowled at the sight.

"So, are you going to serve me now?"