twelve.

You were about seven months into the job and it just kept getting more and more complicated. The original job had been done, but the truth behind the people you were looking into just kept getting deeper and deeper. Before you really even knew it, you were neck deep and drowning in a business you really did not want to have anything to do with.

You were thinking about that as you dangled from the ceiling, your arms stretched above your head and aching, your toes just barely brushing the ground. You were letting your head hang, your eyes closed so you could take in the silence and remember. You thought about your father, your life back home, and how different everything would look through the lens of everything you had seen. You thought about Barney and Gunnar and Caesar and Toll and Lee. Lee. Even after months of not seeing him, your heart still leapt a little at the thought of his name. You hated it. You didn't want him to have any kind of power over you, yet somehow he did. He had seemed a bit upset when you told him you were gonna take the job. You wondered why he suddenly cared so much- it wasn't long before that that he was going on about how inexperienced you were.

The door behind you opened, slamming into the wall with a shaking thud. You pulled your eyes open, your lashes sticking together from a bit of dried blood. The man placed his hand on the small of your back and rounded your body, looking you up and down, tired and helpless.

"You are quite beautiful for a traitor," he said, accent dripping from his lips. He studied your body and you flinched against him, your muscles screaming in aching protest. "But beautiful girl or not, you know well what we do to traitors."

You let your eyes find his and you tightened your jaw, pressing your lips together. "I'm not a traitor," you said. "You didn't need to hurt them."

"You got in the way of business," he said with a shrug, stepping back from you. "That is traitor enough for me."

"I didn't pull the trigger," you said, throat dry and hoarse. "I wouldn't have."

"Not on the girls, no," he said. "But on the men? Probably."

He wasn't wrong. You forced your distaste for him down your throat and sighed. Your cover hadn't really been blown, but he was angry at you. All you needed to do was get out alive and feed all the information you had to the CIA, since they were the ones who had loaned you out from Barney for this operation. It was too risky to be an official government job, but important enough that the gang had to be broken up. At first they thought it was just drug smuggling, and the biggest fear was the effect it could have on the economy. But it wasn't just drugs they were selling.

"I don't want to hurt anybody. Let me go," you said.

He laughed, resting back on the wall across from you and crossing his arms. "Let you go so what? You can tell somebody all about us? Clearly, you do not like what we are doing here. It does not serve you anymore. We let you go, we lose our money."

"So what?" You asked, "are you gonna kill me?"

"No, no, Dorogaya. Nothing like that," he stood, walking closer to you so he could run his fingers across your cheek. "I think you will make me a lot of money somewhere."

You looked up to the ceiling so you didn't have to see his eyes. He had crystal clear, bright blue eyes with a scar that ran perpendicular to his left eyebrow. He could've been almost handsome in another life, but all the foulness that rested inside of him leaked to the outside and he was rotten.

"I'd rather die," you said.

He chuckled, running his hands down your stomach before he took another step back. "You cost me a few paychecks last night. I can not just let that slide."