𝗈𝗇𝖾

YOON JISU IS LIKE ANY OTHER GIRL

yoon jisu studies hard to get average grades at school. yoon jisu likes taking pictures of her food and posting it on her social media. yoon jisu attends math academy and study group to spend more time with her friends. yoon jisu visits the convenience store sometimes and uses a fake id to buy alcohol. yoon jisu puts on makeup once in a while to feel pretty.

yoon jisu is like any other girl.

in a webtoon, she sees herself more as a side character. stranger number 13, whose role only extends as far as to give the main characters some character development. jisu is not pretty enough, or smart enough, or talented enough to stand out in a crowd. average, that is what she is, and what she has been her whole life. average, is what she comes to terms with as she stares at her reflection in the mirror, adjusting the neatly ironed collar of her new school uniform. the maroon shade of her blazer appears flattering on her figure, painting a beam of satisfaction across her lips. a tiny rush of adrenaline tingles down her spine at the thought of attending school again, being able to act like a normal 18 year old once again. it had been almost a year since she left saebom high, two considering she attended night school for one year. it was practically a new start for her.

swinging her backpack over her shoulder, she closes her room door and hugs her grandmother goodbye, after being chided for once again skipping breakfast. trying not to let the nerves get the better of her, she decides to take the bus to school, hoping that the morning rush would drown out her thoughts. it works for the most part, as she squeezes between other students conversing over the bustling sounds of traffic. wobbling on her feet, jisu barely registers when a pair of bright eyes linger on her.

"yah, yoon jisu!" the aforementioned girl jostles in surprise and whips her head around to face choi sooah, who is waving enthusiastically at her from her seat. the tiny girl adorns a pink cardigan over her school blouse, in a fashion style that is undeniably sooah's.

sooah was never a close friend of jisu's, but she had always been overly friendly to the point of being overbearing at times. jisu watched as the girl gestured her over, letting her own two legs carry her subconsciously to the back of the bus.

"it's been so long, yoon jisu! why did you leave? you left without telling anybody why you were gone, we were all so worried!" jisu strained a smile, knowing that the harmless girl was simply over-exaggerating her facts. unlike the former, jisu never had many friends back in school, only close acquaintances, choosing simply to keep to herself and study hard to maintain decent grades. her only friends were... jisu shook her head to clear the thoughts out of her head. no, they weren't friends anymore. he had made it very clear right before she left.

no one would be too concerned about her sudden departure two years back, save for the occasional rumours and speculations that she was sure went around. it might sound depressing, but jisu had too many things on her mind to wallow in self-pity.