Chapter 19: Who is Gabriel Winchester?

The next day was the first for Sam to attend classes, and he was extremely excited about it. Sure, Harry and Sirius already taught him bits and pieces of magic, but this was something entirely else.

The first lesson was Transfiguration. Sam had to admit that while Professor McGonagall was a stern teacher, she was also excellent and fair. She told him that he should try to follow and not hesitate to ask questions. Questions he asked. Actually so many and so in-depth that McGonagall at some point told him if he really wanted to know all that she would gladly answer them outside of class.

Though not knowing that Sam already read the entire book for that year plus some he got while staying at the Rabbit Hole, she wondered how he knew so much.

Once Transfiguration was over, Hermione came running over and started to talk with Sam over the theory behind the subject much to Harry, Neville, and Loki's amusement.

The entire way to History, they discussed whether the wand movement was that important, or if the caster's imagination was the more important part.

Sam quickly gave proof to his statement that it was mostly imagination by taking out some wrapping paper he had in his pocket. He transfigured it into a small, simple box by concentrating on it.

Hermione's eyes nearly bulged out by this offhanded display of wandless magic. Sam only shrugged but had to admit that since Loki freed his core, magic came to him much more natural than before. When he displayed his wandless magic in front of Crowley, it took a lot out of him, but now it was easier and less draining.

Shortly later, they arrived at the History classroom and watched how everyone else wondered who this Gabriel Winchester was and how his lessons would be. To their utter surprise, Loki stood up and walked to the front of the classroom.

"Where is Professor Winchester?" someone asked.

"Grading the fourth year's homework," Loki snickered.

Everyone bar Harry and Sam, who knew what was going on, looked confused. Harry slid down in his seat and tried unsuccessfully to hide his laughter upon seeing that. When Loki threw him a glare, he couldn't hold it anymore and laughed uproariously. All the others looked at him as if he finally lost it.

"You don't get it, do you?" he teased. "We are talking about Loki...!"

Thinking that statement through quite a few Ravenclaws and some of the Gryffindors let their heads sink onto the table. Loki who accusingly stared at Harry for spoiling his fun now also laughed upon that display. The only one in the end who didn't get what was going on was Ron.

"What has that to do with Professor Winchester?" he asked dumbly, but no one thought about telling him what was going on. When he was such an idiot as not to notice the obvious, it wasn't their problems.

This lesson Loki continued his lecture about Supernatural beings, lecturing about Tengu, Japanese demon spirits. Especially Sam was taking detailed notes for should they ever have the unfortunate luck of running into one.

Over lunch then he again talked with Hermione about what they learned. They also got into a more in-depth discussion of the difference between focus-based magic and mind magic and which of them was harder to perform.

Harry, Neville, the twins and Loki, on the other hand, talked about what they have done over the holidays. That was when Loki made a particular face that they all knew meant nothing good.

"I'm bored," he said before his face lightened up.

"Oh no, what are you up to now?" Neville questioned with a worried face actually edging a few inches away from the trickster.