01 - HEARTBREAK ANNIVERSARY

THE TRIP FROM home to Rutland would always be a long and hard one. But I kept my mouth shut. It's something I learned from my mother, in fact, inherited. 

In this world, you really have absolutely no one, I thought to myself as I stared at the clear sky. My only company would be my books. And Eva. Never forget Eva. That made me chuckle, for the first time in weeks.

Rutland Int'l is a place for rich parents to dump their children, like a daycare. Thankfully, I continued to mind my business, as usual, and pass thoroughly. Now, look where that got me. Head girl for this session. Just take what life gives, I hope.

The familiar smell of freshly trimmed grass, strong cologne and chewing gum welcomed me and my chauffer pulled up in front of the school. 

The security members ran up to the boot of my car and began taking all of my luggage out while I pressed one hundred quid into the nineteen year old, Niall.

"Our secret," He whispered into my ear. It sent chills down my spine. Uncomfortable chills. I think they were the chills Tina warned me about.

Surreal Chills.

I recomposed myself and walked straight to the school building. It was empty, the only sound being my own breathing and the sound of my heels clicking on the marble floor. I pushed the office doors wide open, only to be greeted by the strong scent of coffee, old people and polished leather.

"Have a seat, Miss Grey," Mr. Johnson ushered.

"Lennon is fine, thanks," I reminded him, brushing my hands under my skirt and adjusting my position in the chair. As comfortable as I remembered.

"Well, I am pleased to congratulate you on your success of being nominated as the school's Head Girl. It is a huge responsibility, as you should know, so I expect the best from you." He tilted his head down to take a sip of his coffee. 

Mr. Johnson hadn't changed at all. His pale, white skin still had their liver spots, especially on his balding head covered by the white hairs that still remained. He adjusted his thick, black rimmed glasses and sat up properly.

"There will be some changes, however, to your whole routine here."

Yes.

"Your apartment is now on the other side of the East block gate, it is fully furnished and painted. Your luggage is there already, and I believe you have picked your assistant?"

"Evangeline Green, sir." Her floral name left my lips like sunshine in the rain.

"Good, good. I am sure she'd be a great influence on you," He brought out a thick, but small, brown envelope with the words 'DO NOT BEND' printed on them. "Your badge, handbook and other accessories are present here. Have a great term."

His blunt ending took me by surprise, but I thought nothing of it and made my way out of his office. I took a look at the board right next to it.

'LENNON GREY PRONOUNCED HEAD GIRL OF RIHS. WILL SHE BE AS GOOD AS THE OTHERS?'

                                ❤️‍🩹

  I was close to opening the door, in fact, turning the handle when someone burst in. It was Eva. Her looks hadn't changed. She still had her long, black hair, brown skin and freckled face. But the thing that held me the most with her, was those clear, green orbs.

"How's my new head girl?" She asked, eagerly. She was from Kent, her accent revealed it.

We had so much fun giggling about and gossiping but were disturbed by the assembly bell. The bell I was supposedly meant to ring. We continued down the halls till Eva excused herself to a phone call. I was left alone. I'm always alone, always will be alone. That's just how it is.

I was so deep in my thoughts that I didn't realize the dark, brown eyes watching me. Abel Wilson, Head boy.

"Johnson's looking for you in the h- are you crying?" He didn't sound comforting. It was a tone of annoyance.

He even looked mean. He was tall, with a strong build and sun-kissed skin. His frown was fixed on his face twenty-four seven. 

"Aren't you going to answer me?" He asked, frustrated as he pushed his black hair out of his eyes.

Something in me cracked as I walked toward him. I couldn't even understand why, Abel and I barely knew each other. He had his badge on, and so did I. 

I eyed the rest of him. His trousers, unlike others, were slim-fitted and short so it reached his ankles but didn't flop down to his shoes. There was a similarity between male and female uniforms, I realized, but it wasn't time to think about it.

We stepped near the alter and he elbowed me to make sure my hands were out of my blazer pockets.

So caring.

Caring indeed.