Self-Care

It has been 9 months since the world was plunged into chaos. For Lola, that ment it had been since March of last year that she was able to live a normal life. Now, going out of the house was very uncommon. And how could it not be? The mere act of going to the grocery store now posed a threat to her life. Ever since March, nothing has been the same, nor has it been going great.

Now, to make matters worse, Lola lived alone at the start of it. Since visiting anyone was strictly prohibited, she's been alone in her big house for all 9 months. Such a space was ment to share, but now that the world would have to wait before visitations were common place again, it served as a cruel reminder that she had no one. Most her age would have found someone, especially with her wealth as a childhood star. Alas, she had no one.

A few weeks ago, Lola, while wallowing in her misery, saw that somehow, there were two of her. It came as quite a shock. Both oh her had the same long brown hair, shirt, sweatpants, white nail polish, make up, and even the same exact caramel skin tone, and her signature cheekbones. There wasn't any bizarre phenomenon, or reaching out to some secret doctor known only to the elite to clone herself, this second Lola was just there. Suddenly. No explanation as to why.

Most people would have tried to contact someone, find out what happened, but not Lola. She was in such a state of apathy, that after that first encounter, she hardly spoke to her second self. In fact, the two ignored each other for the most part, save for the occasional glances, out-right staring contests they engaged in ever night in bed. Lola did not change her daily routine just because of this second instance of herself, and the other Lola seemed to have no intention of doing so either. They did most things either together, or in the presence of each other, again, never saying a word.

When Lola woke up, the other Lola was in her bed. When the other Lola brushed her teeth, Lola sat on the bathroom counter to wait her turn, and even used the same toothbrush when it was. Lola would go for a quick swim in her outdoor pool, and the other Lola would sit by the side, on her phone, waiting for Lola to get out for her turn-not once going in at the same time, or even dip her toes in the water. When the other Lola went to take a bath in her large, expensive tub that many would call a hot tub or jacuzzi before referring to it as a simple bathtub, Lola would have zero issue setting inside also. The water mostly obscured their nude bodies, but it was not like that was their concern. When Lola took a shower in her equally expensive shower, complete with a rainfall setting, the other Lola more often than not would simply waltz right in as if Lola weren't even there, and do her business. Granted, both Lolas had a tendency to stare blankly at each other during most of these activities, however, that was the extent of their communication.

Lola was under the impression that this second Lola she was seeing, and occasionally bumping toes with at night, was the product of being alone for too long. She figured that, if she ignored her second self, eventually she'd stop seeing her. Now, that didn't explain things like why they were able to touch each other, such as through the aforementioned involuntary toe bumping. As far as Lola was concerned, that too was part of the hallucinations, and the more she interacted with her second self, the further she'd be plunged into madness.

Despite being rich enough to afford grocery delivery services, Lola opted to go to the store herself, despite the risk in recent days. She couldn't stand being in her house all the time. When she went out, her second self always accompanied her, and vice versa. Neither of them objected. Figment of her imagination or not, maybe she too needed fresh air. With their masks on, they ventured out into the dangerous world.

When it was Lola's turn to sit in the passenger's seat, she was always more than a little nervous. If she really was hallucinating, then his could she be driving while sitting beside herself, and not on the wheel. It was one of the very few activities that made her doubt herself. Like, if it were true, which If them was the real Lola? How could she feel everything from the passenger's side so clearly. Resting on her arm as she rested her elbow on the door of her black convertible, with the cool winter air brushing against her face till it feels numb- it all felt so real.