10- Sarina Whiteclaw

It had been a week since Artemis started as my Lady's Maid. To be honest she didn't seem like she was that qualified for the job, but as soon as I made eye contact with her and saw the claw marks on her face I knew I had to do something. Typical motherly Luna move. However what she may have lacked in skills she more than made up in effort.

Artemis was so well organized and observant that after the first couple of days she had everything running like clockwork. I barely had to lift a hand before she had it filled with what I needed. It may have be a little early to promote her but it would have happened eventually, I'm sure of it.

We were currently in my town car returning from a tour of a children's hospital that had just opened a new wing. We had spent the last few hours walking the hospital campus so that I could meet with wealthy officials on the hopes of raising money for the hospital. Poor Artemis' limp was atrocious at the end of it but even with the endless hours of standing and waking she never made a peep of complaint.

I looked over to study her on the other side. She was gazing out the window watching the various road features pass by. She looked tired although she would never admit it.

I enjoyed her presence. There was always something so calming about her. It was nice being the one comforted rather than doing the comforting for once.

There was still so much I wanted to know about her. Her file was pretty scarce and I had every intention of interrogating my brother about her, but he conveniently was sent away before I could. He is in for a verbal ass chewing when he comes back. I knew the girl wasn't his lover but I still wasn't sure why he brought her here.

"Artemis," I called toward her. "Tell me about your home pack. Was it big?"  Artemis turned to face me with her eyes wide and unsure.

"Not small but not big. I think last time I updated the registry we had just under 200 members."

"You were in charge of the registry?" The poor girl looked at her fidgeting hands before she answered.

"Not in charge. More like just helped. I helped with most of the records and things. I liked keeping it organized making sure everything was noted and in it's place. Alpha Langston tried his best but got overwhelmed with it easily and his son Dalton was more of a warrior and less of a clerk." I smiled as she opened up to me.

"You must of been really close with them to have them trust you with such a responsibility." Having seen the Royal pack records myself I knew how complicated they could be. It took skill to have them done right.

"They are more like family at this point." I was relieved to hear that. Her files said she was an orphan. That could be hard on anyone but I was happy her pack stepped in for her parents.

"You must miss them very much."

"I do with Alpha Langston. I have only been able to send him a few letters but Dalton came to the capitol with me so I get to see him every so often. I saw him even more when I worked in the laundry facilities."

"He's here in the capitol? That's good to hear. What is he doing here?"

"Oh he's here training with the Royal guard.

"Well I am glad you have one more familiar face here with you."

We spent the rest of the car ride back to the palace in quiet silence. There was more I wanted to ask her but I didn't want to push her too soon. I was an expert player of the patient game.