My Short Friend

(Third Person POV) (I promise Tiso will be here soon)

Quirrel stood at the Temple of the Black Egg. He looked curiously at the three mask symbols on the front. They looked exactly the same as those that marked the map he had found.

"They must have something to do with this... At least, I'd imagine that that would be the case."

He set his nail in the ground and touched the egg. For some reason, it was warm. Like he was touching a lamp that had been lit for a while, but not too long. Then, a mysterious insect walked up to him. He picked up his nail and rested it by his side, just in case this strange insect was dangerous. The insect walked up to him, and looked at him. Then, the insect tugged on Quirrel's arm.

(Ghost POV) (this is a rare treat)

I walked into the strange temple, to see a bug. He seemed to notice me, because he picked up his nail. To show him I had no intent to injure him, I hid my nail in my cloak. He relaxed his arm a little, and I walked up to him and tugged on his arm to greet him.

(Quirrel POV) (i hope this isnt too confusing im sorry)

I was startled. This bug seems to be unable to talk, so I guess I must start the conversation.

"Hello there! How delightful to meet another traveler on these forgotten roads."

The bug shook its head. I kept talking.

"You're a short one, but you've a strong look about you. I'm Quirrel. I have something of an obsession with uncharted places. This ancient kingdom holds many fascinating mysteries, and one of the most intriguing of them is standing right before us. A great stone egg, lying in the corpse of an ancient kingdom. And this egg... It certainly gives off a unique air. Can it be opened? There are strange marks all over it... I do so love a mystery...And who knows what other marvels lie even deeper below us..."

I decided to stop talking, as to not bore my new friend. But again, they tugged on my arm. I'm assuming that they wants me to continue.

"For so long I've felt drawn here. So many tales full of wonders and horrors. No longer could I resist. I just had to see it for myself. And what a time I chose to arrive! This dead world has sprung to life. The creatures are riled up and the earth rumbles. The air is thick. I wonder what could have brought it all about?"

He tugged on my arm again. They really must enjoy listening to me! They set their nail aside, so I looked at the state of it to stir up a conversation topic.

"To persevere in this ruin, that old nail alone just won't be enough. Though that's no problem! One only has to look around. Plenty have come before us and most have met their grisly end, many more equipped than you and I. I'm sure they wouldn't mind were a fellow explorer to relieve them of their tools. It's a kindness really. The dead shouldn't be burdened with such things."

They looked at their nail and and nodded, then tugged on my arm again. I scraped my mind for another conversation topic, and remembered that small town of Dirtmouth.

"Did you pass that town above? What a gloomy little place. And such majesty hidden right beneath! I suppose that's why they've all headed down here. Who could resist such possibilities?"

They stood up, and looked at the Black Egg curiously. They tugged on my arm and pointed at it.

"Oh, you want to know if you can touch it?"

The mysterious knight nodded.

"Yeah, you can! Here!" I crouched down to lead their hand to the egg. I let out a sigh and simply said, "Ah, truly a marvel..."

My new short friend then began to walk away. They waved goodbye, and I let them depart with a simple, "Goodbye, my short friend!"

I can't wait to tell Tiso about them!