Chapter 33

"Has he seen the message?"

Sana shook her head, it has been two days since she mustered her courage and messaged Eric.

"That's strange," Dahyun contemplated while applying pedicure.

"Maybe we were mistaken—he might be looking for someone else." Sana sighed, as she looked at the calendar. It has been four months since she left him.

"Nonsense! Who else could it be?"

"You know, there's always something I kept hearing in the Philippines. Something from a movie, I think," Sana started. "Apparently, people who broke up should have a three-month period before they can start dating someone else."

Dahyun's face turned sour, boggled by what she heard. "What...? What the hell?"

Sana shrugged, unable to place the logic behind it as well. "Anyway, it's been four months since I left him."

Dahyun started counting and raised her eyebrows in surprise. "No way! You...you think? You think he's dating another woman?"

"Maybe, I don't know." Sana didn't want to acknowledge it, but she knew there was a possibility, especially since she doesn't have an idea of how Eric has moved on.

***

"Ugh, why are they scheduling a rehearsal on Saturday night? This blows," Chaeyoung growled as Twice went to the JYPE building.

"Yeah, I was supposed to catch up on dramas tonight," Nayeon exclaimed as she hit her gym bag.

There were only a few people in the building, as it was a weekend. Nonetheless, Twice dragged themselves over to the studio.

Upon entering, Jeongyeon hit the light switch and everyone except Sana cheered: "SURPRISE!"

The studio was laden with balloons, food, gifts, and pictures of Sana. While everyone was shaking and hugging her, she stood there awestruck.

"Since we didn't get to celebrate on your birthday, here you go," Tzuyu said.

"Yeah, and you seemed down the past few months," Mina chimed in.

"Don't get mad at us Sha Sha," Momo hugged from behind.

Sana shook her head, teary-eyed: "No, thank you, everyone. Sorry, I've been so out of it lately."

Everyone huddled to hug her. "Belated happy birthday!"

Amidst the scramble, Sana looked around to see if any of their managers were around. No one else was there, except the nine of them. However, in the far corner of the room, she noticed another set of gift boxes.

"Oh! Someone left some stuff behind," Sana pointed out.

"Maybe they're yours, too," Chaeyoung remarked.

Sana walked over to the pile and knelt to get a closer look. She noticed that these were nine gift boxes, each having a card with only numbers and a Japanese word on them.

2011 - For.
2012 - each.
2013 - year.
2014 - I.
2015 - did.
2016 - not.
2017 - spend.
2018 - Christmas.
2019 - with.

"Be careful! They look like a crazy person wrapped them," Nayeon quipped as the others chuckled. Sana looked at them with a smile and continued looking at the boxes.

What particularly caught her attention, and caused her eyes to feel hot, was how the wrapping was not as bad as before—better, but still unpresentable.