CHAPTER FIVE

MISSING

MISSING

Sleep hadn't come easy to Star in the nights following Michael's admission and whilst the Guerin boy was convinced she was an alien just like him, Max wasn't so sure and Isabel thought Michael was just over exaggerating, and only saw what he wanted to. Orphans got adopted all the time, alien or not.

The Valenti girl sighed heavily as she stared into her full length mirror. She didn't look extraterrestrial. But then again, neither did Isabel, Max or Michael.

A quiet knock had her jump, head turning to the door before it sounded again from behind her and she swivelled to see Michael standing outside her window. Her eyes widened before she made her way over, unlatching the hook and pushing the window up "What are you doing here at—" she paused to look over at her alarm clock "3.30 in the morning?"

The Guerin boy sighed as he slipped into the room, his combat boots thudding softly against the wooden floor "Max didn't appreciate the early wake up or the importance of this." He held up a ripped piece of paper, a messily drawn semi-circle of charcoal in the middle "This is what you saw right? When you touched the key in your uncles office?"

Star looked over the drawing before heading over to her desk where she grabbed her sketchbook and flipped through it until she could hand it over with the same shape, neater and with a few more details "I couldn't really remember much more than that."

"This is it, it's still missing something though." He sighed before looking through the book until he landed on a page covered with various sized spirals, something that stirred a flicker in his brain "These. What are these?"

The Valenti girl shrugged "It's just something I've always drawn when my mind was a mess and I needed to clear it."

Michael nodded, chewing on the inside of his cheek as he handed her the sketchbook back before he raised his hand to the back of his neck, rubbing at it sheepishly "Listen, Hank will kill me if he catches me sneaking back in... Do you mind if I crash here?"

Star hesitated as she looked to him before nodding in defeat "Fine. But you stay on the floor."

"I'm not a pet." Michael scoffed but accepted the pillow she tossed him before grabbing the throw blanket and making a bed on the rug by her own.

Star decided it would be as good a time as any to try and get a few hours sleep in before school and climbed into bed. She tucked one hand underneath her pillow as she turned on her sighed, eyes drifting from her lamp to the boy who lay on his back, hands behind his head "Get the light, will ya?"

"You're kidding, right?" Michael raised an eyebrow but when she simply returned it, he sighed and got up to reach for it, turning it off an encasing the room in only the moonlight. He glanced to the girl with a sarcastic smile "Happy, Princess?"