1.

Elin Maye

''C'mon, it's gonna be fun!'' Vaya grabs my hand while she leads me up the stairs. Her blonde curls shaking as she practically runs up the stairs with her hand in mine. The only sound being our heels clacking on the tiles of the staircase; if you listen closely you might even hear the dimmed music from above us. She squeezes my hand tightly as the music starts to get louder as we're reaching the top.

The building we're in is huge. The walls are covered with artistic paintings and bright colors. The stairs are layered by marble tiles. And on the ceiling; you can find some chandeliers. You can already see by the staircase itself that the people who live in this apartments are rich, not even to mention; the penthouse.

We are on our way to one of the best parties of the year. This was really all Vaya's thing, I just come along and make sure she doesn't end up in the back trunk of a car.
It was a Monday night, which means that I have work tomorrow and really shouldn't be here. But Vaya succeeded in convincing me to come, and if I'm being completely honest; a party would not hurt me right now. In fact I could use some entertainment.

Life's been boring lately. I feel like my days are the same every single fucking day. I am losing motivation in everything I do. We are all trying, trying to make it out of this world alive yet none of us were prepared to survive. It shouldn't be this hard – but it is. We shouldn't dread our existence, dread walking each morning hoping it's our last. How fair is it to have to face the world with nothing left within you? And though it feels as if our souls are given out. I hope one day I reach pure happiness. I think I deserve at least that much. Even though I despise parties, they do bring some live in me. A distraction to get away from my usual life. A moment to get away from my thoughts. A moment where everything just almost feels ethereal. I thank Vaya for that, honestly.

I told her that she could sleep over tonight after the party. You really don't want to get on the streets this late in the east part of town. Luckily for us, I only live a block away; so we could be home in 5 minutes.

It's pretty shitty that Vaya and I live on other sides of Mallows Green; we don't see each other that often since she moved. We both obviously have very different lives. I'm trying to fulfill my dream as a professional dancer. And Vaya is focusing on her study.

The music is starting to get louder as we're getting closer to the top of the building. My left hand in Vaya's and my other trying to keep my skirt from going up. As soon as we reach the top; the smell of sweat, alcohol and smoke fills my nostrils. The blue led lights give the penthouse a dark, mysterious glow.

Vaya holds my hand firmly and leads me through the crowd. I look down at the floor, not trying to make eye contact; as I'm being pushed through the filled rooms of the apartment. The music vibrating through my feet.

"Wait here, I'll get us drinks'' Vaya lets go of my hand and walks over to the bar she slurred us to.

I look around anxiously as my fingers intertwine with each other. The corners of the room are filled with large couches; all covered with people doing things I don't even want to imagine. It's too dark to tell anyway.

In the center of the room stands a big bar. All sorts of alcohol and drinks getting poured in plastic red cups. I'm completely astonished how this is someone's living room; it looks like a nightclub at the moment. This must have cost a fortune; and right now people are puking all over the floors.

Way to go.

People are everywhere. The bar is filled with people doing shots, laughing, I may even saw some guys doing a line. I look over to the right and see some guys throwing money at girls who are dancing around poles. Their bodies moving with the rhythm of the music.