Leaving Home.

Weeks ago deadly lightening had struck the earth. It hit trees and when they fell people ran. They scattered across their fields to find refuge in their homes made of mud and stone. They were scared. Even I, when I saw the rain change colors like trees change in autumn. No-one noticed the change but me; or if they did no-one said anything. They just cried. They said the God’s were punishing them for reasons unknown. So as mud flooded and trees struck homes, people ran until they were exhausted. They even killed themselves and others in hopes it would make them happy.

I knew they were wrong.

The God’s could not have punished us. They have the power, yes, but they never lashed out on the whole race. Something must have happened. Something about the grey sky was a signal to me. Was it the sky? Or was it Brighid’s voice in my head calling out. Her voice was always tender, but it was never so weak and stoic. “Help me” she said as if she were fighting for breath.

I grabbed my thin sword I had gotten from my father when he died. He died from severe illness when I was seventeen. That’s the year after my little brother was born. My brother was named Bowie. Bowie always wanted my attention, which I would rarely give to anyone.

I stole my father’s old horse from the barn and road off to the highest hill outside of town. Tears were falling like rain, and Brighid was screaming in my head. I believed my mother and brother to be at home safe. I rode off into the wet fields slowly going uphill. I was as out of breathe as my horse. The rain-like tears fell into my mouth making me feel like it could almost drown me.

I finally got up the hill and halted. Below was a large cliff where rough water met the side of large rocks. “Brighid!” I called “I’m here!” I waited for an answer. “I’m here! Let me keep you safe. I will fight for you!” I waited again for a sign of her. I got nothing. No words and no poems. “Please,” I said more quietly. A big drop of rain fell onto my face and stayed there. It seemed thick and didn’t roll off like the other drops. I put two fingers to my face and inspected the heavy drop. What I saw on my fingers were blue. Normal rain was clear and thin, but this was dark blue and thick. Could it be blood?

Finally a voice came through. “Death is upon is all; I’m sorry. My kingdom falls.” Brighid often spoke in rhyme. I could imagine her up there covered in panic and worry. I closed my eyes and said to her:

“I will help.”

I shut them tight and when I opened them there was chaos. Beautiful pillars were on fire and a tilled floor that was burned and covered in blue. I heard a male yelp, an ominous laugh, and then I heard a screech. “Aodhan!” It yelled. I ran as fast as I could towards the sound. I ran out of the room, down a hallway with cracked gold walls, down a chipped and cracked stair case, through another room and finally I made it to the sound. Outside I a destroyed garden, the sky above it black, and then I saw her. Brighid laid on the ground with her hands up, her face and dress was all covered in blood. Towering over her was a one legged beast with two eyes. His skin was red and his hands were huge with long, black fingernails.

He swiped at her but only got her ankle as she pulled herself back. “Brighid!” I called. She looked, I have never seen such horror.

“Who are you?” The creature’s voice thundered.

I ran in front of Brighid. “I am Aodhan.”

The creature sucked in its breath about to spit fire.
“Who are you?” I asked back.

He laughed until his fiery breath was all gone. I was confused by him, but all I really cared about was Brighid. I had parents and a brother who cared for me, but Brighid had really raised me. My mother told me stories every night, my father taught me how to slaughter, but it was Brighid who was in every one of my decisions. He turned around to see who was hitting him on the ankle. Bres was trying to defend his wife as much as I was, it seemed.