Prompt #4

Prompt #4: "It's odd, the things you remember when you're watching someone die."

I stood silently in the middle of the road. A bomb had just set off and destroyed my workplace. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING? GET OUT OF HERE!" A man screams at me. My response: I run toward the incident. My family, the only ones I have left, are in the burning building.

"Let me through!" I yell at the firemen. I somehow push through them and grasp the first family member I can find and drag them out. I continue to do this as the top layers fall down from weakness.

Finally, I have all of my unconscious people out of the building. Coughing can be heard from all around the area. Medics help who they can and the firemen work to keep the fire under control. The policemen usher as many fine people away from the scene as they can.

My best friend, my cousin Sydney, lies against the pavement heaving for air after she had awoken. Tears fall down my cheek. "It's gonna be okay," I keep repeating. Our eyes connect and I can see the light falling from her eyes. The way the wind blows, the smell of gasoline, the dandelion feathers fly by all remain as a reminder of this moment. Her body begins the death rattle and that is all my ears train on. "It's going to be okay.." I whisper in her ear as I pull her body up and allow her to rest against my shoulder.

She manages to speak just a few words. "I'm right here.."

She's right there, but she's going to die. I look around as far as I can and watch the medics give up on trying to revive multiple people. Many calls on time of death and many sheets of cotton being pulled over heads. Everyone, except for Sydney, in my family is dead.

I'm numb and can barely comprehend what my surroundings are. I can feel the slowing down of her breath come to stop.

The smell of gasoline,

The wind blowing,

The feathers of dandelions,

They are all I remember as she is declared dead.

Gasoline, wind, dandelion.

I love you Sydney. I'll remember you.