Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Abby

The lesson ends, I have no more lessons today. I am free! Swinging on my backpack, I sigh in relief. I don't think I could take another lesson. A hand grabs my arm, I pray it's not a teacher trying to keep me behind, I turn.

"Abby." Thankfully, my friend, Kyle, stands before my eyes.

"Hi." I grin.

Kyle is the typical good-looking guy around here. He has hair down to his shoulders which he can barely pull off. I keep trying to convince him to get it cut, it'll look better I swear. His eyes are trusting, a soft hazel colour with fleck soft brown. There have been suspicions we have dated, but we never have and never will. We've been best friends for years.

"Are you going to the party tomorrow?" His eyes dance mischievously.

"Or course." We walk out of the classroom, unbothered by the teachers, to the rich taste of freedom. I never miss a party, no matter who throws it. This time it's a boy in our year called Colt. I don't really know who he is but it's a party for everyone in twelfth grade.

We walk out the rusty high school gates, where we meet Kyle's girlfriend, Lily. Instantly, she pecks his cheek and their hands intertwine. I make loud wrenching sounds beside them. I laugh under their duel glower in my direction. It's sweet, really. I chuckle, the sunbathes my face. I swear the windows in school reflect light. Or the school just sucks away the light like it sucks away our will to live. Kyle's eyes light up simply at the sight of Lily. I don't blame him, she is even hotter than he is. The three of us walk down the silent street, the rest of the students have dispersed. We are going to hang out at the park, my sister is meeting us there. We are non-identical twins. We look nothing alike. It's almost comical. No-one ever suspects it. They think our matching last names are a coincidence. I have dark hair, a sharp jawline, piercing green eyes and average height. My sister is blonde, hazel eyes, tall with soft facial features. She looks like the definition of an angel, and I the devil. Or that's what my parents joke. I open my mouth, looking around I realise, I am walking alone.

I spin, calling out their names. I know exactly what they are doing. They are making out against the wall completely forgetting my existence. I sigh. "Hello?" I wave.

I don't mind the concept of relationships but at least don't ignore me completely. I get no response. I roll my eyes, I was hoping we could make it to the park before this happened. I turn around and carry on, alone. No doubt my sister will be late. She'll be too busy snogging her girlfriend. I respect that they have relationships, but I find parties a lot more fun when you aren't attached to another person. I waltz over to the park, no point racing there when I'll be first to arrive.

Collapsing onto the grass, under the shade of a tree, I can still smell old dew on the grass from past rainfalls. I stretch out, the ache in my bones from being cramped under a desk, slowly releasing. My hair falls over my face and I bat it away carelessly. My jeans hug my legs and my cropped shirt reveals a few inches of my stomach. I wear white sneakers, not the best idea I'll admit as they are easily stained with mud.

"Abby, where are Kyle and Lily?" My sister asks, approaching.

"Where do you think?" I pat the space next to me for her to sit.

Our styles are completely different, she wears loose jeans, with frayed ends and a baggy, blue sweater. Her hands disappear in the sleeves. "Where's Selena?"

"Busy." Holly sighs sadly, fingers playing with loose threads of her sleeves.

"Are you both coming to the party?" I shade my eyes from the sun.