Anne de Burgh

Have any of you read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen? If you have, you will remember Lady Catherine de Burgh and that she had a daughter named Anne. This is a story from Anne's POV. I came up with the idea just now, and jotted this down really quickly. I can't decide if I want to call it Anne or if I want to call it de Burgh so for now, I am calling it both. Let me know which you guys think is best and what you think of the story!! 

~ES~

Anne de Burgh

Chapter 1

Life. So many people have so many different interpretations of the word. For most, my life is looked upon with envy. For me, quite the opposite. However, please do not miss read my intentions, I am very grateful for the life I lead. It is a life in which many strive for generations to acquire, most of which can not even begin to fathom the amount they lack. No, my life is one that must be born into. It is a life of frivolity. A house the size of a small town, grounds too vast to walk, too many carriages to count, an endless amount of servants, maids, cooks, tenants, gardeners, stable boys, nurses, governesses, music teachers, painting teachers, sewing teachers, hired playmates, toys and books enough to fill cathedrals, and enough dressing attire to clothe all of England. I truly believe that I have never worn the same dress twice. While all of these things I am grateful to have, I can not help but wish I had none of them. For with all of these added comforts in life, come many hardships. One must always be composed in public, representing the family in a positive way comes before all else. Never am I to speak to anyone of a lower class than myself, therefore, I converse with stuffy old women, and gentlemen with overly enlarged midsections. I am never allowed to dance at balls, provided they are held in high enough society for us to be bothered to attend, because it would be improper for a young lady such as myself to expose herself in such a manner! The only good thing about being in the class that I am in, is that I have the opportunity to be presented at Court. However, even that is denied me because of my mother. She will not allow me to be presented at Court simply because she exposed herself in such a manner as to get herself banned. For all the etiquette lessons and manner instruction she has put me through, one would expect her to follow the same course. This, I am sorry to say, is not the case. My mother is the most improper, unkind, rude, nosey, and selfish person I have ever met. When one is at Court, one does not insult the Queen and her daughters by accusing them of being...I am ashamed of saying this even in private...whores! Yet, this is exactly what my mother did. She made several comments of this sort in the company of Dukes and Duchesses and even, I am petrified to admit, the Queen herself! As one may well imagine, my mother was removed immediately and on the terms of never showing her face there again, was allowed to keep her title of Lady that my father, Lord Ferdinand who is now most sorrowfully deceased, had bestowed her. My cousin, who is still in the good graces at Court, has generously informed me that I am not banned along with my mother. The Queen has told my cousin specifically that she remembers me in a most kind way and would be happy to see me amongst her relation there. This would be one of the most wonderful things I can imagine, for I would still be upholding my mothers wishes of staying in good society, while I would be able to have friends my own age. How joyous that would be! To think I could be happy...if not for my dreadful mother! Perhaps it is unkind and improper for me to express myself in such a way, however, I can not help my feelings on the subject. I forget myself though, I have not yet told you who I am. My name is Anne de Burgh, only living child of Lady Catherine de Burgh of Rosings Park.