Part 1

A forest of Tyscythe. A yearning to nature's calling as it pulls the wanders into the deep greenery of its display. With the rugged trees and wild critters that scurry about, from the rays giving their hue to the chlorophyll, nothing is as awe-inspiring as a trip into the woods. Or that is what travelers fantasize about. Forentatly for Sorin, he has been accustomed to the beastly side of a lively stroll through nature. And the forest of Tyscythe is no different from his previous travels.

His misadventures gave him many reasons why to avoid such places, where being calculative and precocious were needed to transit through the wild. He just lacks both skills, which put him in his current predicament. On his dark horse, strolling into the night, the forest seems to hang over him. As if the branches are reaching for one of his red locks or trying to snatch his shoulder. An echoing throttle clicking resounds in his surroundings as he couldn't find the origin. He could barely see the dark sky or the bright side of the moon he needed to guide him.

As Sorin continued to go in circles unnoticed since his departure from dawn, he felt a bit guilty for the long trip. But the higher-ups informed him of his easy travels. Not his continued betterment of being lost.

He sighs. Knowing well he should've brought a squire or one of his associates, he only regrets more that he insisted on going alone. Believing in a gut feeling instead of being prepared.

The council informed him of the uproar in the lower class. Children are influenced by tall tales about a sorceress living in the heart of the forest. Strange rumors of a woman who feasts on the souls of the young to keep her beauty, even going to extend on luring them to her home. Treating them like token guests with extravagant dishes and extraordinary tricks. Their nativity is their downfall as she reels them in.

Sorin doesn't dismiss these rumors, there could be a sorceress somewhere where he was heading. But he doesn't believe the rumors lined up with what he has seen before. Nonetheless, he would investigate and report back with his next expedition. He feels like this kind of work wasn't much of his expertise.

His ride staggered. Surprised by his distraction, he groaned as he ended up in the same ditch he went by twice already. His anger slowly boiled, as he yielded and went in another direction. Perhaps finding some route to help him find the described shelter.

He scratched his head, "Why do I even bother?"

"Yes, why?"

Startled, he sees below him an old woman with a cracked cane she leans on. Covering her haggard face with a light scarf wrapped around, Sorin swore her brown eyes looked brighter than she appeared to be. Her wrinkled hand soothed Sorin's horse, as she inspected the young knight with skepticism. His clear eyes peered toward her.

Sorin held the hilt of his sword, "And who may you be?"

She chuckled, "I am, but a mere old maiden with a sense of adventure. I was just strolling when I saw you."

His grip loosened, "Well, I presume you know your way around?"

"Oh!" She jingled, "Most definitely. I've been walking these paths like a hound knowing his way back home. Never got lost the last time I recall."

He rubbed his head in response, "I don't assume you know where a small cottage is."

"I do."

He raised an eyebrow, "Do you know where?"

Her hagged face put up a wrinkled smile, "Of course."

She pointed to the east, the opposite of where Sorin was heading. "It only takes 50 steps to the east and I believe you'll find your way. It wouldn't be that hard to seek."

"Ah," He gasped in astonishment, "Have you ever met those who reside there?"

She shook her head, "Never."

"Very well," He whispered more to himself, "Much gratitude, ma'am. Please have a safe trip."

"Much appreciation."

And he went off in the direction she pointed, his horse thundering through the wind as he held on tight. The farther they went, the wider the trees became, opening a new world that Sorin wasn't able to see before. A small stream slipped through the cracks of a rocky pathway, as the moss covered the floor beneath him. Instead of the trees overhead, they were more outstretched, leaning against one another. His swift ride let him admire these small details, though not for a long period. With the moon peaking on him, his journey seems to be coming to an end.

Sorin was externally grateful that he met the old maiden. But something felt a bit off about her. Such a fragile essence walking at midnight, being more knowledgeable than those he met back at the domain. She felt so foreign to him, her eyes flickering with life as bright as his, but it never matched her facial features. As if...

He gripped the reins, and his horse harshly stopped. Sorin reviewed everything about the woman again, from her wrinkled pale skin to the crooked cane she held. Her sense of 'adventure' and how well she knew where she was heading. All of it could add up to a simple wanderer, but her brown eyes struck him more than they should have.

A smile broke through his lips, as he was about to depart where he last met her. When, suddenly, a bright light caught his attention. A warm beam that shattered through the illumination of night.

A honeyed tone beckoned him, "Where are you off to?"

He whipped around to see a small cottage being held against the twisted trees. A young woman by the door frame, her dark hair cut to her shoulders and her bright brown eyes reflected the heated glare from her home. The same eyes he somehow was familiar with.

He cleared his throat, "You were the old maiden, correct?"

She shrugged, "Yes, and it doesn't matter. If I didn't intervene, I doubt you'll ever find this place."

He didn't object much to that. The young knight isn't as slow as he couldn't comprehend things but slow in his sense of direction. Being called out like this didn't bother him as much, his mind was still wrapped around the idea of being tricked. Which, from his tiring journey, made him anticipate more to come.

"Come in," she ordered, "Or you insist on staying out here?"

Sorin waited for a moment but nodded afterward. Finding a place to tie the reins of his horse, he then followed the young maiden inside.