Chapter 1 ~The Last Laugh~

-August 13th 1958 Detroit, Michigan-

I wake up and hop out of bed already sweaty from the heat of the sun beating down into my room. Today will be a good day I thought as I opened up the window letting in the breeze. I look to my left at my little sister's bed, Anna Mae, finding it empty. I look around for her wondering why she's already up since she usually stays asleep an hour later than me. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" Anna Mae jumps out from the closet screaming. I quickly turn around and chuckle "You scared me!" I tell her then take her hand heading to the kitchen where mom and dad are preparing breakfast, my favorite breakfast, Waffles with honey and syrup dusted in Powdered sugar with a bowl of strawberries on the side and a glass of milk to wash it all down. Dad doesn't usually stay for breakfast, he will usually grab a slice of bread with jam on it and kiss my mom goodbye with a wet sound and then hugs me and Anna Mae goodbye and heads off for work grabbing his hat and coat and goes to work. My dad is very tall and quiet, he is very smart but does not have many friends. He drives an old red car that he's had since he was 16, I don't know why he hasn't gotten rid of it yet. He works for a coffee company. Now you would think since he works for a coffee company we'd be well off, everyone loves coffee. But we've struggled a while with money. Given our poor situation I think we are doing well though sometimes dad disappears for days at a time, but when that happens he calls us every half hour! We live in a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment, my parents took the living room to sleep in and put a curtain up for privacy. My bedroom I share with Anna Mae wasn't much, but I was comfortable though sometimes she gets to be annoying sometimes. But I didn't mind, if I was an only child who would I have to keep me company? 

I sit down in my seat and my mother puts down my plate of waffles and I look down seeing the number six written in syrup. "Happy birthday darling" She says and kisses my forehead. "Your father is cutting the strawberries" She says and goes back to the counter where dad is to make sure he isn't cutting his fingers off. He tries to cook but fails sometimes, but my mother appreciates his efforts. "Come and sit down my hyper bunny" My father says to Anna Mae. "I wanna go outside" She says bouncing up and down on my parents' bed looking out the window. "You can go out with Marilyn AFTER you eat some breakfast" Mother says and picks her up sitting her down and setting down a plate of waffles for her. Anna Mae is only 3, she knows she can't go out by herself. But that doesn't stop her from asking everyday if she can. Anna Mae is very giggly and hyper. Mom doesn't know who she gets it from. Dad is very calm and mellow, and mom keeps to herself most of the time and almost never shouts, she thinks she got it from grandpa who was laughing and joking till the day he passed lord rest his soul.  

By the time I finish eating Anna Mae is already bouncing up and down waiting for me to take her outside. I chuckle putting my dishes in the sink and put my shoes on "Be careful, make sure you keep a close eye out for her people out there are not as nice you think love" My father says. I nod giving short yes's and okay's not 100% paying attention to his words. I open the door and Anna Mae runs out and down the stairs towards the lobby. I chase after her "Slow down!" I say with a chuckle. I make it outside soon after her and see her running around with a stray dog up and down the sidewalk. I barely have time to sit down when I look over and see my crush, Caleb, making his way over to me. I quickly stand fixing my hair and dress as he approaches me. I've liked Caleb since preschool. He's already in middle school and can drive, surprising I know. His dad owns a car company so he gets away with a lot. He was the only one ever nice to me whenever we meet. We met through our parents. "Hi Caleb" I say almost instinctively raising my voice up a bit higher to seem more girly. "Hi Marilyn, happy birthday" He says and I take it with pure happiness as if I haven't received a happy birthday yet. As if Anna Mae has chosen just this moment and built up all her frustrations to let out on me she runs up to me and Caleb "Mary the ice cream truck is coming can you tell mommy to give us money?" She says tugging on my dress. "Not now Anna Mae I'm busy" I mumble to her still looking at Caleb with a smile.