𝐜𝐡. 𝐨𝐧𝐞

━✦━

━✦━

「"𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐞𝐟𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝."」

- ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴄᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛᴀʟꜱ, 𝘔𝘪𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘨𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘈𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯

━✦━

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐔𝐌𝐀𝐍 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃 had been far more than what any of the Grace Field escapees could have ever imagined. They finally had a place to rest their nerves. It was a new feeling for them; freedom. They were no longer forced into survival and running from more than one type of demon.

The year is 2050, almost a full year after the children had successfully located Emma in a downtown market square. It had also been six months since Emma fully decided to live with them in the dormitory specifically created to house the children of the farms.

Because of the children's advanced knowledge, they were specially taught by a professor selected by Mike Ratri at a half-day school created for them. They met early in the morning and ended their classes just before lunchtime. The rest of the afternoon was free for the children to do what they pleased. Most completed homework assignments or studied new material before dinnertime. Others used the various amenities provided by the Ratri's within the estate.

However, the kids who were unfortunate enough to be shipped to Lambda before its demise were expected to visit the infirmary during this free time. This was to receive their daily doses of medication to reduce their seizures and any other conditions that arose in the children. Anyone else who was experiencing mental health issues as a response to their trauma also attended one-on-one therapy.

But at the end of each day, no matter how busy or eventful, the children made an effort to come together to celebrate their continued survival by sitting down and eating dinner with one another.

"C'mon Emma, we can't start eating without you!" Phil, now 9-years-old, grinned sheepishly as he grabbed said orange-haired girl and pulled her swiftly in the direction of the neatly set tables.

"Okay, okay, I'm going!" Emma laughed, picking up her pace to match the younger one's speed. "You're gonna make me fall."

All the other children filed into the room with ease, making their way about the hall. The laughter and chatter that ricocheted off the tall ceilings had become music to Emma's ear, and she was sure she would never get used to it. Phil let go of Emma's hand as he approached 'his' table, as Phil claimed it to be, where he sat with Anna and the trouble-prone twins (who weren't actually twins, he realized months ago).

Emma walked further into the hall, running her hand over the tops of chairs before reaching the chair and table she always managed to sit at. It wasn't like she had a choice either, as her family insisted on purposely making her sit in the direct center of the dining room.