prologue

__________________________________

Stanford University present day

___________________________________

"Sam! Get a move on, would ya? We were supposed to be there like 15 minutes ago. Samantha, you coming or what? Do I have to? Yes, it'll be fun. And where's your costume? You know how I feel about Halloween.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So here's to Sam and her awesome LSAT victory. All right, all right. It's not that big a deal. She acts all humble but she scored a 174. MMM. Is that good? Scary good. See, there you go. You are a first-round draft pick. You can go to any law school you want. Actually, I got an Interview here Monday. If it goes okay, I think I got a shot at a full ride next year. Hey, It's gonna go great. It better. How does it feel to be the smartest in your family? Ah they don't know. Oh no, I would be gloating. Why not? 'Cause we're not exactly the Bradys. And I'm not exactly the Huxtables. More shots? No no no. Seriously, I'm proud of you. And your gonna knock them dead on Monday. You're gonna get that full ride. I know it. What would I do without you. Crash and burn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night Samantha is woken up by the sound of some one breaking into her apartment. And as she sneaks down to make sure that It was safe she is attached by another woman. Ah! Whoa, easy, tiger. Deanna? You scared the crap out of me. That's 'Cause you are out of practice. Said Deanna as Samantha flips her over and is now pining her down. Or not, get off of me.

Deanna, What the hell are you doing. I was looking for a beer. Sam? Jess, hey. Deanna, this is my girlfriend Jessica. Wait, your sister Deanna? I love the Smurfs, you know I got to tell you you are completely out of my sister's League. Just let me put something on. No no no, I wouldn't dream of it, seriously. Anyway, I've got to borrow your girlfriend here, to talk about some private family business, but nice meeting you. No no, whatever you want to say, you can say it in front of her. Okay um Dad hasn't been home in a few days. So he's working overtime on a "miller time" shift. He'll stumble back in sooner or later. Dad's on a hunting trip and he hasn't been home in a few days. Jess, excuse us.

----------------------------------

I mean come on, you can't just break in, in the middle of the night and expect me to hit the road with you. Your not hearing me, Sammy. Dad's missing, I need you to help me find him you remember the poltergeist in Amherst, or the Devil's gates in Clifton? He was missing then to. He's always missing and he's always fine. Not for this long. Now, are you going to come with me or not. I'm not. Why not? I swore I was done with hunting for good. Come on, it wasn't easy but it wasn't that bad. Yeah? When I told Dad I was scared of the thing in my closet to give me a .45. Well what was he supposed to do. I was 9 years old, he was supposed to say "don't be afraid of the dark". Are you kidding me? You should be afraid you know what's out there. yeah, but still-the way you grew up after Mom was killed and Dad's obsession to find the thing that killed her, but we still haven't found the damn thing. So we kill everything we can find. And save a lot of people doing it too. Do you think mom would have wanted this for us? The weapon training and melting the silver into bullets?
Deanna, We were raised like warriors. So, what are you gonna do? Are you just gonna live some normal, apple-pie life? Is that it? No not normal, safe. And that's why you ran away. I was just going to college. It was Dad who said o
If I was gonna go, I should stay gone. And that's what I'm doing. Yeah but, Dad's in real trouble right now if he's not Dead already. I can feel it. I can't do this alone. Yes, you can. Yeah well, I don't want to. What was he hunting.

----------------------------------

All right, let's see where the hell I put that thing? So when Dad left, why didn't you go with him? I was working my own gig this voodoo thing down in New Orleans. Dad let you go on a hunting trip by yourself? I'm 26, sis. All right here we go. So Dad was checking out this two-lane blacktop just outside of Jericho, California. About a month ago, this guy - they found his car, but he'd vanished. Completely M.I.A. So maybe he got kidnapped. Yeah, Well, here another one in April, another one in December '04, '03, '98, '92 - 10 of them over the past 20 years - All men, all same 5-mile stretch of road. Started happening more and more, so Dad went to go dig around. That was three weeks ago. I hadn't heard from him since, which is bad enough, and then I get this voicemail yesterday.

(Distorted speaking)
Deanna, something is starting to happen I think It's serious. I need to try to figure out what's going on. (More distorted speaking) Be very careful, Deanna, we're all in danger.

You know there's EVP on that? Not bad, Sammy. Kind of like riding a bike, isn't it?
All right, I slowed the message down and put it through a GoldWave, took out the hiss and this is what I got.

(Female whispers)
I can never go home

Never go home. You know, in almost 2 years, I've never bothered you, never asked you for a thing. All right I'll go, I'll help you find him, but I have to get back first thing Monday Just wait here. What's first thing Monday? I have an interview. What a job interview skip it. It's a law school interview. And it's my whole future on a plate. Law School? So we got a deal or not?

__________________________

Wait, you're taking off? Is this about your dad is he all right? Yeah you know, just a little family drama. But your sister said he was on some kind of hunting trip. Yeah, he's just deer hunting up at the cabin, and he's probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. We're just gonna go bring him back. What about the interview? I'll make the interview, this is only for a couple days. Sam I mean, please just stop for a second. Are you sure you're okay? Hey, everything's gonna be okay. I promise

(Samantha kisses Jessica on the cheek)

At least tell me where you're going.