Prologue

Prologue

“LUXUS! I told you that you will never meet him again! I am your mom, you should understand me more than your selfish dad!”

Here we go again, my mom is ranting again. My ear hurts as she goes on angrily stopping me again. She’s been like this for three years every time I’m asking her permission to allow me to go back in the Philippines to visit my dad during this summer vacation.

“Luxus, you know how I was hurt because of your dad, he left me the day of our wedding. Are you not angry on him? Your little brother has no dad to live now, why did you still accept that shameful dad?”

I sigh again as she referring how she was living alone supporting me and my little brother Lass. Mom is literally did not move on because of that. I know how painful that experience but how can we manipulate dad’s heart? He decided to choose daddy Alvin, and I understand that because they were lovers before he met my mom and conceived me. We can’t do anything to reverse that fact. To be honest the moment he told me that he will ditch half an hour before the start of the wedding, I was surprised; I don’t understand at first but looking how his eyes moved me. It shows deep regret if he will not follow his heart. He really wanted to be with Alvin and he tried to forget him for the sake of my selfish request to have a happy family.

I also regret that I am the reason why he left Alvin. I know that they really love each other; but because of me, he felt torn choosing what I want and what he really wants. And I don’t like to be the reason of a painful future full of regrets so i gradually accepted them because that’s the power of love after all. I let him choose Alvin and I let him choose his own happiness. 

“Mom, will you please calm down first?” I said gesturing her to calm down for a moment. “Breath in then exhale, now do it again inhale, then exhale. Now sit down first mom”

She sits on my bed and waving her hands to calm her mood. I walk towards her and sit beside her. Looking at her crying state, I hug her tightly.

“Mom, you know that I really love you, the same how I love my little brother right?” I asked her and she nods. “Mom, I’m turning 9 this year, and I’m not a kid anymore. I’m a grown up little man now, I really understand your pain mom, but can’t we just be happy for them?”

“No! That will never happen Luxus! I can’t forgive him! He hurts me! He destroyed my plan to create a happy family!” mom shouted and tightly holding my shoulders.

I’m a little bit scared but I made my mind calm. “But mom, we also destroyed their family first. Did you remember how daddy Alvin suffered because of our intrusion? WE ARE the reason why their 4 years of marriage life ended so fast. Can’t we become happy for them now that they have each other’s back again?”

“But Luxus, it is inappropriate! You are his son, and I need him for you and for Lass! He is a father so he needs to act as one”

“Mom, being him as my father does not requires him to always be on my side. I understand his love towards daddy Alvin, and in fact, daddy Leonard never missed any important events of my life. He is always supporting me even he is away from us!”

“Luxus, you are still a kid and you will not understand my point, I just want you to have a perfect family, a father and a mother that you will call as a parent”

“Mom, there is no such perfect family. It is just an illusion. What is the use of having him with us while his heart is aching because of regret? Can we be still become happy? Please mom, we need to move on. A happy family is better than a perfect family. I am really happy that he is my dad, even though that he is away from us, it does not matter, he still be there for me as always whenever I want him to talk to me, to ask him serious boys talk, about my study, my favorite sports and many things that a father should do, he provides it without hesitation. Can’t you open your heart to accept his decision mom? It’s been 3 years mom, 3 years! If you are still insisting that you are not happy, we are the one who suffers the most because of what you want is just for yourself, and it is not about me and Lass.”

My tears fall rapidly; it is my first time to cry in front of my mom and open up about what I really feel regarding the past issue. The surprised face of my mom made her quiet. I gently hug her before I left her because I can’t contain my emotions anymore. I am really pissed off because of my mom’s irrationality. I went to the kitchen and drink a glass of cold water to ease the tension in my body. I clenched my fist as I literally went overboard this time.

Yes, I’m still a kid yet I know the current situation. Whether between mom and dad’s happiness, I am affected. All I want is a happy family, and the truth is, I only feel that when I am with daddy Leonard and daddy Alvin every time I am in the Philippines.

So, with that, whether my mom opposes it again for the third time, I am decided to take my summer vacation in the Philippines. I wipe my teary eyes and went back to my room to continue folding my clothes and putting it on my luggage.

Two days from now, get ready Philippines, I will be back home!