Chapter 9

Scarlett

        Will's gun fires from the ground making me jump. "W-" I begin to yell, but I'm silenced by a knife set at my throat. "Come with me," I hear the sinister voice of Henry Lawson from behind me. He wraps my hands together in his one fists and guides me down the many stairs of the tower. He's pushing me faster and faster with each flight until we finally reach the base. "Why are you doing this?" I ask, cautiously. 

        "Shut up," he replies. We hit the bottom and I sneak a glance at Will. He has a gun pointed at his head by two men in black clothing. I wish I could yell his name. 

        Lawson shoves me away behind the tower and into the line of trees. "Now, let's watch a massacre, shall we?" he asks me. "No-" I start. He pulls out a large steel remote and pushes a series of buttons. He releases the knife from my throat. "Will!" I bellow, but right when I do, the tower complete disintegrates with an explosion. 

        "Will!" I yell, even though it's no use, he was too close to it. He must have been within forty yards. "Will!" I yell between breaths, though I know nobody could hear me. I sink to my knees and begin to sob. My best friend is gone and I was almost gone with him. And now Henry Lawson will kill me. I turn to him,"How could you do that?!" He's smiling at me,"I warned you all."

        He jerks me up and leads me through the trees to a delivery truck. Lawson throws open the doors and throws me inside. Another man jumps in the back with me as Lawson starts up the truck. We begin to drive off. I hoist myself up to look out the back of the truck at the law enforcement that just showed up to the tower. 

        Two ambulance workers catch my eye. They're picking up a man on a gurney. "Will! That's Will!" I yell to nobody in particular as he grows smaller and smaller. "He thinks I'm dead! We have to turn around!" I yell at the man in the back with me. He just stares at me with pity in his eyes. "We have to go back! I have to be with him!" I yell again. But he just stares at me. I begin to cry again and unravel my hands from the linen wrap that Lawson tied me in. I start banging on the door. "Somebody help!" I yell. "Anybody!" I'm shrieking by now. Nobody is driving behind us and for once, nobody is on the sidewalk. 

        "Shut her up!" I hear Lawson yell. After a few more seconds, I feel something hard hit the back of my head. "Ow!" I have time to yell before I sink to the floor and everything goes black.