Melika

"Melilka!" The blur in my eyes slowly faded to see something I like to call my "wonderfull" mum.
"Melika, can you go to the market and get some onions?"
" why can't you go?" I said with frustration in my voice
"Melika, I'm training you to be the "perfect" wife.
I can never accept the fact that I will never have the future I wanted.
Never to be a woman earning her own money, living in my own home, instead I will be living off my "husband", cooking and cleaning for a living.
"Ok,ok give me 20 minuets"
I forced myself out of bed and half heartedly walked to the shower room.
The silk feel of cold water sent shivers up my spine instantly waking me up.
I got change and went in to the court yard where my dad was sitting reading, the only piece of the outside world I have, a newspaper.
"Good morning papa"
" Ahh melika, what's this your mum tells me about you wanting to go to school?" Amusement hide behind the words.
"It was just a thought" I said
"Well honey the government have their eyes pinned on our every move, one wrong move and BANG."
----------------------------------------------
Walking to the market was long but it gave me time to think.
As I approached the center, I saw a number of women all shapes and sizes protesting .
The leader, a girl just about my age holding a sign "freedom for women".
The group rallied around the center finding a voice for themselves.

*BANG* *BANG*
"Everybody get down" a man in his late 30's with dark blue eyes shot at the sky navigating us to lay down.
This was no surprise to me, living in the Middle East it was like a daily soap opera.
One by one the protesters were forced to sheep the shepherd or in simple terms follow the guy with the gun.
----------------------------------------------
After all the protesters were with I got what I needed and went back.
I was thinking how crazy it was that in this world containing "freedom of speech" women were being dragged out just for wanting a voice.

At the dinner table , I tried to bring up what happened earlier but my parents just dismissed the thought.
"Malika, I want you to listen to me." My father spoke suddenly. I nodded gesturing for him to continue. "They are coming for all of us and I want you to leave. "

I gasp confused at what we had done for them to be out to get us.

"We have money upstairs. You must hurry."

I sit there paralyzed. What do I do? I haven't ever had to do something like this.

"Hurry Malika before-"

My mum is cut off by a gun shot being released. It penatrates her chest and blood starts to bubble from it. Soon she is lying on the ground surrounded by blood. A gurgled sound erupts from me as I stare at her body.

"Quickly. There's no time to lose." My father tells me, running off. I follow behind him like a lost puppy. "Go to London at by where they call London Bridge, you have an uncle. Go to him and he will help you bring Justice. Girls need to be able to do what men do." He hands me a bag and we start to run. I hear an engine and I turn to see a black van following closely. It stops and a gun appears at the side. Before I could even even comprehend what was happening dad was on the floor gasping for air.

"No!" I yelled as my father's body lay limp on the floor. I watched as the man drove off. Both my parents, dead. Money, gone.
I am alone.