Chapter 6: Knowing

While I withered under Dr. Dogonyaro's creepy grimace, a knock at the door broke the tension.
"Enter," Dogonyaro said.

A girl walked in wearing a white jump suit with white leather sneakers. The suit was mono-colored except for a badge of two golden diamonds pinned above her breast pocket. She closed the door and stood at attention, hands behind her back. She had
a low haircut which made it impossible for me to guess how old she was.

Fair girl with an athletic build. Hard looking. Not the kind of girl who would interest me.

Mom always drilled into Ayo and me that we shouldn't judge people by their looks. I respected that, but at sixteen, I couldn't help categorizing girls. They were either hot or not.

This girl was not.

"Ekaiteh," Dogonyaro said, "this is our new pupil. His name is Phood."

She glanced at me for a second then fixed her gaze at the shelf behind Dogonyaro.

Dr. Dogonyaro turned my way. "Ekaiteh's job is to take you on a tour of the academy and get you squared up with basic things here. I'll check in with you later. For now, that will be all"

"Yes, sir," Ekaiteh said crisply to Dogonyaro.

To me, she said, "This way, pupil."

I followed her out the door. "Keep up, pupil, but not too close. If you Scuff the heel of my shoe, and I go make you lick'am clean'clean with your tongue." She said in pidgin.

Definitely not hot of her at all.

"Pay attention," she snapped. "First thing to know. Always obey orders."

"Big black guy at the door already told me that." I snapped back.

"That's Mr. Porter and the other man, Mr. Luke, is the desk guy. Take my advice, pupil, whenever you see those two men, turn around and walk the other way."

Mr. Porter and Luke or look, definitely not a friendly name to me, I thought.

"Why does this place need so much security?" I asked.

"This school ain't a country club or a missionary school. Never forget that everyone here is a delinquent. Many of us can be extremely violent."

"How about you?" I joked. "have you ever become extremely violent?"

She glared at me. "Pray that you never find out yourself ."

Got it. She don't look like the type that could take a joke.

"So, the security is here to protect us from what?....Each other?" I asked.

"Don't concern yourself with security. Just do as they say."

"Where are we going?"

She ignored me. The hall led us from Dr. Dogonyaro's office past a room marked 'Records' then past a double set of wooden doors painted bright red.

"What's that room?" I asked.

She halted and faced me. "All of the rooms in this wing are strictly off limits to students, especially the Red Chamber."

"Red Chamber?"

Ekaiteh glanced up. I followed her glance. Along the ceiling hung dark, dome shaped objects.

"Cameras?" I asked. "Are we being monitored?"

She lowered her voice.
"Everything you do in this building is monitored and recorded at the security station. Remember that."

The hall ended at a T intersection just beyond the Red Chamber. Ekaiteh turned right and led me to a door with a glass panel. Painted on the glass, a red cross.