Day 1

Dear Diary,

I, Viviana Ashley, woke up at five in the morning because I heard a rumble. It was my parents who stormed into my room a few seconds later. It occurred to me that today is my 16th birthday. I was expecting great news or a present, but it can be very different. I was told that I would have to go to war with the Arian troops. But not to look after the sick or something, no, I had to fight. Why? Because I had to take such a weird test three months ago, like everyone here and apparently passed it with full marks. That's why I'm going to war. Before that, however, I have to attend the Arian Fighting School in order to be trained. But I don't really want to fight other people or even kill them. I'm only 16 and a girl. What if I'm the only girl and the other guys are all boys. Unfortunately for me, it starts tomorrow. I am taken to school in a carriage with a few of my classmates who also passed the test. I hope that there are at least nice people there who might understand me too. In addition, I have to get up at five tomorrow, just me. I love to sleep so long and for so long. You can imagine how my day was yesterday. I packed my backpack because I am no longer allowed to take it with me. Then I sat in my bed the rest of the day and cried. I'm just not ready to leave it all behind. But I have no choice!

Oh yes, I haven't even described myself yet. Even if it turns out weird, my diary should know how I look. So I'm not necessarily the greatest. I have long reddish-brown hair and bright blue eyes. I live in a small village in the Arian country. I don't think you have to know more about me. Although, it may be important that I have two brothers called Jo and Jean who are both older and who did not pass the test. They stay at home with my parents.

See you tomorrow, dear diary ...