Chapter 13

In the elevator to my apartment I finally turn my phone on, allowing the texts and calls to pour in I put it back in my workbag. As the elevator doors open I see Hero slumped by my front door, his eyes are closed and he looks like he's in the same clothes as last night, at least from what I could tell by the video. I briefly wonder if I'd be able to slip out before he notices but I decide against it. This is my home, my space, I'm not going to allow him to run me out.

As quietly as I can I walk to my door and pull my keys out. I'm able to actually unlock the front door and open it before his eyes open. As I'm stepping in he grabs my ankle, stopping me from fully walking into the apartment.

"Jo I swear to God I can explain." He looks up at me from the ground, still grasping my ankle. I try to pull it away from him but he hold onto me tightly. He looks tired, making me question how long he's been sitting outside my apartment.

"I'm sure you can but I need to go." I try again to rid his hold on my leg but he hangs on.

"Please, please just let me explain. I know it looks bad but it isn't what you're thinking I swear." He awkwardly tries to stand while still holding onto my leg, grabbing my hand as he stands to his full height. I don't look at him; afraid of the pleading look I'll see in his eyes.

I haven't known Hero that long, not long at all really but I already know what he'd do. He'd look at me longingly, tell me she means nothing, I was thinking about you all night, I was so drunk I didn't even know what was going on, it was a mistake baby, a huge mistake. I've heard it before, that time though I wasn't as willing to dismiss him. That time I believed the I love yous and the I'm sorrys and it was okay until it happened again. And then one more time until I decided there's more to life than being apologized to more often than not.

"I can't do this right now, I'm gross and I need to take a shower and go to sleep. I'll text you when I'm ready to talk." I'm not sure if I mean it. I am curious about what he thinks there is to explain but more than anything I really want to shower and go to sleep.

"Do you promise?" He asks me with hopeful eyes and more than anything I wish he wasn't such an idiot. He must see it on my face because he finally releases my hand and allows me to walk into my apartment.

"Gotta give baby what he wants right Hero?" And with that I close the door in his face, just as his hopeful eyes drift to something sadder.