Chapter 6: End of the year

21 June 2004, Mullingar (Ireland)

Clem POV

Today it's the class photo. The photographer places me between Tom and Niall, as if by chance... Everything has changed since that famous evening. Lucy and Erin are still best friends and have definitely become the "popular" group, when I thought they had changed at the beginning of the school year, I never would have suspected that much? Afterwards, on the boys' side, Niall and I talk to each other very little, the bare minimum. And as for Tom... what a story, he spent his year courting me but finally gave up when he realised that if he said one more word, it was my fist he was going to take. In conclusion, we don't talk to each other anymore either. For my part, I've made some great new friends. We are a small group of 4: 3 girls and 1 boy. Everything's going well (I've stopped using English expressions, I should have been told earlier that it was shameful).

On this day, the class photo seals the end of this chaotic year, to say the least. We start this photo session with the one of our 6th 3. We continue, under the indications of the photographer, with the photo of all the 6th grade classes. We all meet under the courtyard. I feel a slight twinge in my heart because I can't help remembering that this is where it all starts: when the classes are called at the beginning of the school year. Anyway, I can see Erin and her new boyfriend in the distance and Lucy with Niall. These two are still together but I wonder why. Lucy is putting her through hell, they break up every month because of her. The worst part is that she makes him feel guilty and makes him apologize when he's not the one at fault. It has a way of making me angry. The worst thing is that I don't want to follow their adventures but their relationship is the subject of all the discussions, it has the gift of exasperating me. The photographer positions us and takes the picture. And here we are, the 6th of 2004 from Mullingar, we enter into the history of the college.

Niall POV

I am placed next to Clem. It's been a long time since I've been next to her. Her presence makes me feel strange. Since our famous birthday party I have been torn between two feelings: regret and disgust. On the one hand I can't stop remembering that moment when we looked at each other during the slow dance, but on the other hand, why did she do that, kissing her best friend's boyfriend's boyfriend in front of her? I think it was frustration and anger that made me go out with Lucy. What a mistake ... I still don't know what we're doing together. She is always blaming me for the same things that I'm not even guilty of. Anyway, I lose hope in love day by day, month by month. If that's what love is, then it's not for me... I can't help wondering if being in a relationship with Clem would have been different. Probably if Lucy hadn't been there everything would have been radically different all by itself.

"- NIALLLL COMES! Lucy shouted at me.

- I'm coming, I'm coming, I said dragging my feet.

- You're always too slow to come! You don't want to see me or what!" Lucy asked me.

- Oh it's all right, I just don't feel like running, I corrected her, don't you want to talk to me sometimes?

- No, but you allow yourself to criticise me after all you've done! I've forgiven you, I don't know how many times, you owe me a modicum of respect, my girlfriend was outraged.

- But wow, nobody owes anybody respect. That's just a question of ethics, Clem intervened. I thanked her inwardly.

- But she thinks she's perfect, Lucy cried, Niall replied!

- OK, I'll answer her, I said, turning to Clem, you're absolutely right, it's gone on too long, I continued, confidently. Lucy, it's over between the two of us.

- WHAT'S OVER? YOU'RE LEAVING ME JUST BECAUSE THE OTHER ONE TOLD YOU SO!

- Absolutely not. I decided it on my own. The other one doesn't influence me at all.

- PARDON?! The other one?! Seriously, Niall? cried Clem.

- What do you think I think about besides disgust when I see you? I replied, angrily, that's the best one."

Why did I say that again? No reason at all? Ah ok, that's what I thought. How impulsive I can be when I get into it. I get so angry. I've just lost everyone in 5 minutes. Lucy ok. But why I said that to Clem, she doesn't deserve it. I see her leaving with tears in her eyes. I'm just a ball and chain.

Clem POV

I was expecting anything but that. I still had feelings for him and well they just disappeared after those words. It's crazy how such a small sentence can hurt. He adds afterwards that it was the last time we saw him because he was leaving for another school next year. it was the last time we saw him because he was going to another school next year. Good riddance, I tell you. What was I still doing in front of them, the classes were over by themselves? I went then, also because I didn't want to be seen crying. I could feel the tears coming up. Go to next year's college and mess it up, I'm leaving.