A Hetalia Axis Powers Fanfiction: Lonely Mistletoe

Christmas was a beautiful and delightful season. Kiku had to admit this as his hands ran through the smooth wrapper of the gift that had been delivered to him earlier. A small smile formed on his lips, which were cold from the icy weather, as he carefully set the lid of the box aside and looked at the contents.

It was a nice stuffed animal with a new kimono neatly folded under it. The Japanese's eyes spotted a letter, then he held it up to read it.

Happy Holidays, Kiku. Hopefully you are having a safe night. Alfred is hoping to see you in tomorrow's Christmas party. Good luck getting to America with the weather and transportation.

Arthur.

Kiku had to give a secretive smile. Alfred and Arthur were beginning to give their gifts together? That was a sign of a couple! He was certainly not interested, no, but it was... curious.

He wondered what it would be like to spend one Christmas night with someone. Every Christmas, Kiku would go out after slipping into comfortable and proper clothing. Afterwards, he would have tea with the lovely Pochi-kun, who would always be nearby. The man would open the door for the two to do their shopping, making sure they got manga, food, and enough cookies.

He would always get free candy samples, so he came home with a lot of candy to last him for two days. The Japanese man would hang his coat and then he would spend the night watching anime while drinking hot chocolate. Pochi-kun would accompany him in opening the presents that he received via mail. Then they would go to bed to wake up early to get to the airport for America.

That is how it was right now. Kiku had finished watching anime, and he had just started on his gifts. He opened his ex-caretaker's, a Chinese man named Yao, gift and smiled as he stared at the panda toy that lay in the middle. He loved fluffy things; he had a weakness for them, even.

The Japanese man opened the rest of the gifts, silently wondering what the others were doing. His friends Feliciano and Ludwig would be most certainly spending time with their families. His friend from the Netherlands would possibly be spending time with his two sisters. Even Francis would be spending time with Antonio and his 'cute tomatito', Lovino.

Japan was sure that he was the only one who spent Christmas alone. He was sure he was the only one that had decorated his house just for the sake of tradition just to take it down the next day, having been the only one to see them. He never tried going to Yao's house after Kiku had declared that he was not a child that needed him anymore.

It had broke Yao's heart, and as much as Kiku regretted it, he knew he could not go back to Yao's house.

It would be a mockery to what he had done to him.

Of course, Yao and Kiku got along better now.

It just was not the same.

Kiku felt a small pang in his chest, which surprised him.

Why was he upset? He had spent many Christmas nights alone. It was not rare.

Kiku stood up. "It is time for us to sleep, Pochi-kun."

The dog barked in response and wagged its tail.

The two failed to notice, as they left the room... That Kiku had forgotten to open his last gift, which laid unopened under the tree.

Before Kiku knew it, a knock was heard from his door. He blinked in confusion. Who was out there that wanted to visit him? He did not expect any visitors, especially this late at night.

The Japanese man slipped on a comfortable pair of shoes and got a sweater on. He then walked downstairs and opened the door hesitantly.

"Yes?" He said as he bowed politely, not seeing the person's face. "What do you need?"