Chapter 2 - Mark

There's gotta be something behind Jenn's visit. She's a super busy person and never just takes vacations, even to visit her poor brother all the way out in California. But she's not spilling. She's learned how to keep secrets; newspaper reporters can't disclose information until it's published, can't even hint at anything. So I guess it's habit?

No matter the secret, she's super annoying when it comes to them, whatever they may be. At least she's not like some people who walk around declaring they have secrets and then proceed to zip their mouths shut once asked about it. Thank God. Instead her entire personality changes when she's researching a story: she's quieter, busier, nosier (about anything), and newsier (she shares news about everything.)

Anyway, she called a couple of days ago and kind of invited herself over. The conversation went something like this:

Jennifer: "Hey, Marcus. What's up?"

Me (immediately suspicious): "Not much. You?"

Jenn: "All good here. Listen, could I come over for a few days?"

Me: "Uh, sure. Why?"

Jenn: "For a visit. You're trying to find a job, no?"

Me: "Are you planning on helping?"

Jenn: "Oh, no. Unless you want me to."

Me (my suspicion increasingly growing): "So what does my job hunting have to do with your trip?"

Jenn (sounding like she's hiding something): "Nothing. Just curious. So can I come? I'm just asking for a place to stay and access to a kitchen; I can cook for myself if you want."

Me: "Sure. You can come. I don't mind cooking for you. Do you want me to pick you up from the airport?"

Jenn: "I'll get back to you on that. My possible ride hasn't responded yet. I arrive in two days; would you be available for a last-minute pick-up request?"

Me: "I think so. If not, I can find you someone else."

Jenn (sounding satisfied): "Okay, great. Thanks, Murky. Appreciate it. Bye."

See why I'm suspicious? I cannot figure out what she's doing out here. Right now I'm waiting for her call, if I'll get one.

Staring at the blank TV, I let out a little groan of both boredom and excitement. I'm currently bored out of my mind and the anticipation of the golf tournament beginning today is strong. I can't see it in person – Georgia is across the country – but we have TV's. I'll make use of that and the couch for the next four days, assuming Jenn doesn't get in my way.

Ding-dong.

Whelp. She's here.

I go answer the door and welcome my older sister in.

"Welcome, Jenn," I say as I hug her.

"Hey, Murky," she responds, using my childhood nickname again. "Thank you once more."
"No problem. Are you gonna tell me why exactly you're here?"

"Why does everyone always think I'm being secretive? I want a vacation; coming here serves two purposes: Monterey is beautiful, and I can visit my brother. Something wrong with that?"

I try not to feel bad that our family is always suspicious and that I'm still skeptical. "No, of course not."

She takes in my apartment as she sets her bag down on the floor. "Nice place. You've been here all four and a half years?"

"I was in a college dorm for two years, and then saved up enough to rent my own place."

"Nice. You've done good, lil bro."

"I'm like, two years younger than you."

"Exactly. 'Little brother' means a brother younger than you. So 'lil bro' describes you just fine."

Always the debater, my sister.

Oops. I said that out loud; Jenn raised her eyebrows at me.

"So, Murky. Which restaurant is the best and most popular here? And don't argue," she adds as I open my mouth. "I'll pay. It's my first night here and I'd like to see the area."

I think for a minute. "The two best supper options, in my opinion at least, are Day's Diner and Galaxy Course. For breakfast, either Day's or Cade's Café. Why this town is obsessed with alliteration, I have no idea." Jenn smiles at that. "The diner has dairy and meat options; Galaxy Course is only dairy. I guess because dairy is easier to bring up to the galaxy? Also, it's like three pm. Not even three. Do you want lunch or you talking about supper?"

"Supper. It's three pm. No one eats lunch at three. Especially not at four, which is the time it is in Colorado."

I rolled my eyes. "Jennifer, I bet there are some people who eat lunch that late. Just because you're both a reporter and stick to a strict schedule doesn't mean no one else doesn't have a late lunch."

My sister ignores me. "So, what should we do until supper? Wanna play golf?"

I hesitate. "Well, there's the tournament on now. Wanna watch that?"

She groans. "I don't like watching people play. I like playing. That's the fun of it."

My turn to inwardly sigh. Hopefully tomorrow. "Fine. Let's go play golf."

"Just sound a little less delighted, please. Your abundance of excitement is overwhelming me."

"Sorry. I like the tournament. But of course I'll come play."

Three hours and one and a half rounds of golf later – which isn't really a thing, but she's hungry – we hop back in the car to go get supper.

"Good job, Murky."

"Where did that name come from?"

Jenn sighs. "I say good job and you ask where your childhood nickname came from?"

"Yes. I'm not dark and gloomy."

"Fine. Marky sounds weird, Marcus isn't a nickname, so I had no choice but to name you Murky. Also, when Andrew was a baby, his pronunciation of your name kind of sounded like Murky."

"When Andrew was a baby he wasn't speaking yet. You were around six, which is old enough to come up with a nickname. He only began talking around eighteen months old or something. So you were seven and had definitely nicknamed me already."

"Why ask me a question if you're going to answer it yourself? You clearly know the answer."

I rolled my eyes. "Anyway, good game. And you're paying for supper 'cause you lost."

"I already volunteered to pay."

"Well, you can pay next time, too, then."

She hmphed. "In my defense, I haven't played in a while, not since fall, I think. Right before Peter moved to his dorm."

"Yeah, what was up with that? Why didn't he move last year when he started college?"

"I'm not entirely sure, seeing as I don't live with them anymore, but I think either he accidentally forgot to reserve a dorm, or he was waiting for Andrew to start so they could dorm together. He thought Andrew would go to the same college, which he did, but Peter had no way of knowing that. Mom wouldn't tell him where Andrew had chosen. Anyway, we played before he moved; I think he won. Only by a few points, though. The scores were really close."

I nodded, preoccupied by the large truck in front of us. "So, the Diner or Galaxy?"

Jenn pauses. "Surprise me."

I groan. "Really? You take the entire afternoon to decide – and play poorly at golf because your mind is too occupied – and then don't even make a decision." The truck needs to decide which lane it wants. "Dairy, both meat and dairy, or do you not care. You better not say the last one," I add, muttering under my breath as I slow my speed to match the truck's.

"I most certainly did not take the entire afternoon. I only got here after two thirty. And I guess the Diner. Sounds fancy."

"It doesn't and it's not, but okay," I say distractedly as I manage to finally pass the truck.