𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓 ~ 𝒓𝒆𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒔

so i'm not the best at timelines and accuracy with age and all so here
irene is the oldest in this story, she's 3 years older than hobi so she's 35
hobi is 32
minho is a year younger than her in this story because reasons (they're a few months apart, he was born in december and she was in march so yeah) so he's 34
joy is two years younger than hoseok so she's 30
wannie (wendy) is the same age as hobi, a few months older so she's 32
seulgi is a few days older than wannie but for the sake of this fic and the dynamics she's 26 here (irl she's the same age as wannie and hobi but screw that)
yeri is 25 for the sake of this story
im aware that this story takes place during ww2 ok Ay this is a story about magic, screw accuracy

𝕿he next week is probably the most awkward time of my life. Each day goes by without notice, colorlessly. Mother sent my clothes from home along with a letter; it sits on my table just as it was when I first received it. Out of the five stages of grief, it seems that I sped right to acceptance rather than try and deny my fate. After all, what's the use? I've been damned in this manor until the day I die, whether I like it or not. Part of me, the small voice that edges me to explore rather than go about in the garden or stay in my little room all day, believes that if I give enough effort, maybe I can make this work. Hoseok seems keen on getting me to co-operate with him and the only thing I've been been doing is mourning the loss of my freedom.

I start the day with a single goal in mind: make this relationship work. If I'm to be stuck here for the rest of my life, I might as well make an attempt to be happy. The maid, (whose name I found out is Seulgi), helps me get dressed for once and as I head down to the breakfast table, I take my time to admire the paintings on the staircase wall seeing as I never really did when I first arrived here. This mansion is truly a work of art, something out of a painting by Da Vinci himself, perhaps. The lush greens in the garden are a perfect backdrop for the bright and sweet-smelling flowers, each a different color. Towering windows are on every few walls, letting us take a glimpse of the sky above although we're inside. Inside the manor, however, is a scene more melancholic than its outside. Gothic gates lead the way to an inside filled with furniture fit for a castle, (if that's not what one could describe this structure as), delicate golden trimmings adorning the walls. During the past week I've spent here, I've gotten acquainted with the staff and managed to find my way around the many staircases and rooms.

Hoseok seems surprised that I finally show up for breakfast today, and I scold myself for hiding from a feeling so remnant of the Sunday morning I used to spend helping father at his shops, all so familiar and warm. Comforting. Like the thought of biding my time with people I've looked up to since I was a little girl. During this mediating thought process, I decide striking conversation with my now husband wouldn't be too bad.

"Is breakfast always this good? I can hardly believe something like this would be an everyday thing."

"Oh, of course it is! Joohyun, the head cook, has been working here ever since I was a young boy and I can't say that her pancakes don't make me want to sing like a cheesy Julie Andrews movie."

"I can tell from the powdered sugar above your lip," I giggle. What a flamboyant answer. He's thirty-two but acts like he's still a little five year-old boy. It's quite endearing.

"Oops, I didn't notice!" Hoseok laughs, a warm sight that melts my heart. Everyone knows Jung Hoseok is a loving man, despite his brooding exterior. It's also obvious, something only a fool would miss; everything about him is shaped like a heart, his hear, his ears, his smile!

I guess I was the fool here for not hearing him out.

"Um...Hoseok?"

"What is it? Oh dear, did is there syrup on my lips?"

"No," I chuckle, "I wanted to ask you about your side of the story. The other day, when we first met, I realize I never heard you out. I apologize for that."

"Sooyoung, you don't have to apologize. If I were you, I would've slapped me! I guess I do owe you an explanation, though." The room goes silent for a bit until Hoseok suddenly stands up, pushing his chair in.

"I'm sorry, Sooyoung, but I realize I'm terribly late for a meeting with a friend of mine, my sincerest apologies. Shall we continue this when I return?"

"Of course." "

"Thank you, dear. If you need anything while I'm, you can ask Joohyun, she's usually free to help. Is that alright, Joohyun?" He calls, looking over his shoulder as he buttons his coat. The woman at the stove who I presume to be Joohyun nods silently, not looking up from whatever she's mixing.

"Alright, I'll see you when I come back at around three pm! Feel free to explore, I don't think you've seen the west wing. Minho can show you around, I'm sure you'll like it!" And with that, Hoseok is gone. Maybe I will explore some more today.

~

After a bit of me fighting with myself, saying I'm definitely not lost when I can't remember if I'm in the west wing or east, I decide to wing it and look for Minho, the butler Hoseok told me about earlier. I prevail no success, though, only stumbling into a confused Seulgi while she does the laundry.

"Ma'am, are you looking for something?"

"Sort of..."

"I can help you! Just give me a second please," Seulgi sets down the dress she was drying and walks away to the window.

"Hey, Wannie, can you finish the laundry while I help the Missus?"

"Sure!" A voice replies; Seulgi looks back at me with a smile.

"Alright, Ma'am! What exactly where you looking for?"

"Well, I was trying to explore the west wing because Hoseok said he didn't know if I had seen it yet. He told me to look for Minho, who would show me around but I seemed to

have gotten lost..." I feel myself blush as I look down in embarrassment. From who, I don't know.

"Oh, that's alright Ma'am! I get lost half the time here jus' trying to find my own uniform! I keep telling Wannie not to mix it in with the other ones 'cause the soap hurts my skin but...oh, right! I think I know where Minho might be! Jus' follow me, Ma'am!"

"Hey, Seulgi, you know you don't have to call me 'Ma'am,' right? Just call me Sooyoung." She looks back at me, tilting her head out of curiosity, perhaps.

"You're a funny one, y'know that, Ma'am? I can't call you by your real name, none of us maids can. That's for the Mister of this house only. It's an intimate thing, I think.

Anyways, Minho is 'prolly out in the gardens, he usually is. He really loves those 'lil flowers of his, all those cute 'lil petunias and roses and tulips. Mister Jung says to let him take care of them all he wants since they're the only thing we can hear him talk to. Ah, they never talk, Minho and Joohyun. It's like they don't know how to."

"Oh? Why is that?" I ask, climbing down the staircase, simply following Seulgi.

"Well...When Mister Jung's mother found Minho and Joohyun, they were young thieves, little children they were. She found them at the 'ol railway station, all grubby and scared. Mister Jung says Joohyun was about six years old, almost three years older than him. Minho was five, only a year younger that Joohyun. She raised 'em all as her children even though only Mister Jung was her kin, and they grew up to take care of this house and the Jung family. After Ma'am Jung passed, they stopped talking to us all. Speak of the devil, Minho! There you are!" She yells, running over to a man tending to the rose bushes. He looks up, clearly surprised to see her.

"Minho, the Missus wanted to see you! Mister Jung said you could show her around the west wing since he doesn't know if she's seen it. I found her all the way downstairs in the laundry room, so could you help her for a bit? Wannie can make sure no one touches your roses even though no one would willingly mess them up 'cause we all know how much you love them. She's outside, too, hanging up the laundry!" Although I've only known Seulgi for about a week, I can tell she's a bright little thing. Everyone seems to love her here, treating her like she's the baby of the family. Maybe I'll be able to fit into the dyanmic, too.

Minho shrugs, agreeing to help me explore; Seulgi returns to the laundry after she makes sure we'll be okay, (what a sweet thing), and we begin our little adventure.