The Wolf

I woke up in a field with tall green grass. I was in a bed in the full moonlight. I didn't know where I was, but what I do know is that I was serene. The arms of the trees moved gently, with the soft summer breeze that caresses a starry night. There was no noise except the rustling of leaves on the trees when I heard the howl of a wolf. At first I thought I heard it from far away, and did not pay much attention, but then two more howls accompanied the first from a closer distance.

I got out of bed, and in the distance I could make out the giant shadows of three souls. All of them with the same shape, they were quickening their pace towards where I was. When I could finally make out their ears and tails, their fangs and shiny velvety black colour, they were only about ten metres away from me. I made no sudden movement or noise. Although they had a murderous look and mouths capable of devouring me, I felt not fear but fascination before these wild beasts. We were face to face and I knew their intentions, yet I could feel that behind all that mask was a helpless and vulnerable being.

One of them, right in the middle, larger and with a scar on his muzzle, changed his gesture and began to approach the bed and growled in a stern and aggressive tone. The other two followed suit. I panicked and could only run without thinking where I would get to. I looked back and couldn't see them. I could hear their strong, muscular paws crashing against the ground trying to catch their prey still alive.

In the distance I could see a light on. I caught a glimpse of a small cottage on the hill, with many windows and only one door leading out. It was open and I managed to get in without a problem. But they were right behind me, and they tried to enter the house while I forced the door open. It was ajar and the snout of two of them prevented me from fitting it. After kicking the door, I managed to close it. I was distressed, but I stopped hearing the wolves scratching at the door. Now they howled from further away and I could breathe easy, or so I thought.

The peace didn't last long as I was unable to hear the third wolf, the one that started the attack on me. Suddenly I understood why I was silent, plotting how to get in, while the other two distracted me. I must have closed the windows tightly while I could. The beast came in through the window, almost flying I would say. It broke the glass that fell on me.

In the background I could hear the other two wolves, crying out what would happen. It pounced on me, who was already at a dead end, and as it sank its huge fangs into my neck, I saw its yellow-green eyes turn brown, as its wolf form changed to one that resembled my own.