chapter one: don't be a scar faced idiot

Luna's POV

The trees rushed past the window as Luna sat reading her Quibbler with her feet against the window. Her head ached from the constant, ear-piercing screeches of her father's video tape over and over again. He was starting to go off the edge, and Luna finally gave up trying to ignore it. Thankfully, she'd escaped the cage of her house and landed herself back at Hogwarts for her sixth year. It wasn't like Luna hated her father, but he had never been the same since her mother died. Not surprising though, really. Luna hadn't either.

"Hey Luna!" a voice exclaimed. Luna turned her head to the door to see her best friend, Neville Longbottom, leaning against the door awkwardly.

"Hello, Neville," she smiled, "Wow, you've grown a lot!"

Neville blushed and sat down. "Yeah, well, you don't look exactly the same, either, Lu."

"Thank you, Neville!" Luna smiled again, her eyes floating to the ceiling. "How was your summer? Did you get to see you parents?"

"It was a torturous summer, and that's an understatement if anything," yawned Neville, shivering. "Didn't get to see my parents and my nan was driving me crazy. What about you?"

"What a shame. I had a lovely time with father at home, you know." She murmured, sitting up. "Oh.. wow, Neville! Since when did you have that jawline?! It is sharp as a knife!"

"Stop, Lu, seriously." frowned Neville, suddenly going bright red. "You seem so much different from last year... is it your personality or looks?"

"I have decided this year will be different."

"Different..."

Before Neville could properly respond, the compartment door flew open and Harry Potter came rushing in, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley trudging in behind him. Hermione appeared to already be arguing with Ron but Harry seemed to focused to notice. They all had their own hit of puberty, but Ron's was the most obvious. He was ridiculously tall.

"LUNA!" he exclaimed, "I need your hel- wait.. you guys look different."

"Hey Luna, hey Neville." Hermione smiled, sitting down and getting out a book.

Neville smiled. Luna glanced up at her and grinned.

"Hermione!" Luna exclaimed. "Would you like a Quibbler?"

"Ooh, yes please."

"Yes, yes, anyway I need your help Lulu!" Harry said loudly, always one to immediately need attention.

"Lulu?" inquired Ron, scoffing.

"Oh right, me and Lul- Luna decided in our letters that I'm gonna call her Lulu... just 'cause." Harry shrugged.

"You decided, but yes," said Luna, still staring at the ceiling. "Anyway, what is the matter, Harry?"

"Harry thinks Malfoy and Zabini are bloody death-eaters," snickered Ron, munching on a chocolate frog. "I told him, I said 'Harry, don't be a scar faced idiot, they aren't deatheaters.'"

"Wha- scar faced idiot?!" exclaimed Harry, spinning round to face Ron, "You never said that! What did you add that for?"

"Uhh, I dunno," Ron said, sitting up slightly, "It's the truth... you ARE a scar faced idiot, so-"

"ALRIGHT!" shouted Hermione, rolling her eyes, "Luna, what's your opinion on this? Personally, I'm not sure Lord ...Voldemort would stoop so low as to turn school children into his loyal worshippers.."

"Hmm," Luna murmured, looking at her Quibbler, pondering quietly, "I think he's Lord... Voldemort... and there is no limit to how far he can stoop to. There is a chance, a fair chance that they could be death eaters. I mean, Malfoy's parents are death eaters. Are Zabini's?"

She looked over at everyone's faces to see how they felt about this. She always liked to observe people's faces and when she glanced at them, the same fear flashed in their eyes. They all looked extremely uncomfortable, well, except for Harry, who was sat at the edge of his seat, drinking in every word.

"Yep," Sighed Hermione, leaning her head against Ron, making him jump, "They have a whole chain of Zabini death eaters."

An awkward silence passed before Neville suddenly burst into a coughing fit sending everyone into arguments once again. As they did, Harry got up and dragged Luna out of the compartment. His glasses were askew and his hair, though not as messy as it used to be, still stuck up. He was glancing almost nervously around the hallway, clearly excited to tell me something.

"So, Luna," he was practically bouncing up and down with energy, "I have a plan."