chapter 2

hearing the sound of her voice for the first time in 3 months sent nothing but i sharp pain all the way to his heart and formed a knot in his stomach.

why on earth would she want to come back? did something happen to the company? did she need to come talk to glenn? did she finally realize she made a mistake?

thoughts flooded through jonah's head left and right until he realized that she was still on the line. it was silent, and the only sound he could hear was her lightly breathing and phones buzzing in the background.

"jonah?" she finally asked. her voice was different than normal. she was almost pleaded for him, practically begging him to say something back.

he had missed her voice so much, it was almost like he could reach through the phone, hold her hands, and tell her yes.

"please," she added quietly.

"amy..i don't..."

she lightly sighed, and he could hear her press the phone lightly to her face. she did that when she was nervous, she knew that because every time they had called over the years and it was over something serious, she would adjust the phone.

before she could say more, jonah grabbed the phone away from his ear and hung up. he couldn't take it, her voice pleading for him. was he in a dream? there was no possible way she could need something from him. she was in california, living her life, making over a hundred grand a year. for all he knew, she was already seeing someone. someone that wasn't him.

"jonah," glenn's voice startled him to the point where his feet jumped off the ground. "are you okay? what are you doing out here..in the dark?"

he cleared his throat. "oh, i was just, uhm...gathering carts." he shoved his phone back into his pocket and rushed back inside. snow began to fall onto his hair.

"can i speak to you in my office?" glenn finally broke the awkward silence between them.

"sure," jonah answered, following glenn there.

glenn shut the door behind them, which was suspicious because he never, ever closed the door. jonah took a seat, praying and hoping that this had nothing to do with amy.

"jonah," he mumbled, scooting his chair in. "i wanted to know, if..."

before he could finish, jonah's phone rang. was it amy again?

it was.

hitting decline, he shoved it back in his pocket. "sorry," he murmured.

"as i was saying, i was wondering..."

ding. ding. ding. text after text. call after call. what could be so important that she needed to talk to him right this second?

"do you need to take that?" glenn finally asked with a serious tone.

"can i?"

"go ahead."

stepping out of the office and glancing at his phone, his eyebrows raised.

jonah

please

answer me

i need to talk to you

please just call me

can you call me back?

jonah

answer the phone

please.

dialing her number hesitantly, jonah sighed. she answered after the first ring.

"jonah."

"what's wrong?" he asked in a nervous tone.

"please," she begged. "let me come back."

silence filled the phone call for a minute, the anticipation of her getting a response practically killing her. she couldn't contain herself, or her feelings of regret anymore.

"baby."