FIVE (a)

"We loathe the raiders, but what more of the Cave, whom they fear? The carcasses disposed of by such a despicable clan have turned Cedar Valley to a wasteland. Their slaves are marked with their poison and blood runs from their hands. It worries me that we have celebrated their fall, but have not paid heed since."

- The words of River Chief Khuno

* * *

Icthaka watched as Akna and Cadmael stumbled backward, only to find themselves trapped. The K'iinu coming from the leader of the raiders was a rotten brown and red, now so concentrated it was visible. It snaked around them, fastening its hold at their necks and limbs, pushing them to the hard ground.

"Tajilob, leader, their company is arriving." One of the raiders suddenly said.

The tajilob sighed, eyeing the blade of his dagger. "A pity. Another group of useless River children to discard."

The raider who had spoken frowned, "But Caaso? They're usually careful with the promising ones."

"It's too late for minding mysteries." The leading raider held up his hand, and the K'iinu tightened. Sharp pain crept through each area the nooses of energy touched. Cadmael yelped, but the sound seemed distant. A heavy pressure descended. It was a stifling force, muddling Icthaka's mind, tearing away all his thought processes, amplifying his fear. It pounded and pulsed. Panic. Dread. The frenzied feelings settled deep in his bones, amplified and uncontrolled. It was to the point where none of them could even utter a sound, silenced with their own fear.

In the midst of the choking K'iinu, Ichtaka dragged his mind on. He looked at his companions— Akna was too weak from the previous skirmish and Cadmael would most likely refuse to use his K'iinu until the last possible moment. He closed his eyes, sharpening his focus. His mental barriers tightened. Slowly, the throbbing cloud was pushed to the recesses of his consciousness. He willed it away until it became merely an inconvenience he could later dissipate.

"I've heard enough." His voice rang loud. "We are not from the River Clan."

"You can still speak." The tajilob frowned down at him, curious and bloodthirsty. The other raiders appeared confused. He had their attention now. "If you are not from the River, then where, cloaked one?"

In such a situation, Ichtaka would rather they be eye level, but the K'iinu was relentless. "We hail from a farther land. Let us talk. After all, it's been made clear in our conversation that there is no conflict of interest between us— unless you end up deciding that we'd all make nice accessories, that is."

"Drop the act. Do not think to delay your death."

The coiling energy was growing even tighter, the pain increasing. At this rate I may lose a limb. "But I do not lie, do I? Isn't your K'iinu already in my mind? I speak honestly."

"Words have double meanings. We do not carelessly use a god's powers, unlike the clans."

"But you are curious."

"You have not even shown your face."

The K'iinu ebbed, the pain receding. Ichtaka took the chance to pull his right arm free and throw back his hood. He watched the raider's face carefully, as smug curiosity was replaced by recognition. Shock. Fear. Fleeting emotions that were immediately masked. The raiders around him all shifted uneasily. As Ichtaka felt the K'iinu loosen completely, he kept a straight face— his suspicions were confirmed. Perhaps this encounter wasn't completely a waste after all. 

"Do you see the truth in my words now?" He pushed himself up, standing.

The raider scoffed. "You're one of theirs."

Ah. He had struck gold. Now all he had to do was play along and try to get as much information as possible. "That obvious?"

"What do you want?" The man ground out.

Ichtaka smirked, "It is simple. Side with us."

"Our alliance has not worked once in history. Your leaders are asking for a miracle if they think it will work now."

"Who said it was an alliance?" Itchtaka asked, intrigued by what he was hearing. Leaders? Plural? What past alliances is he talking about? It seemed like the Cave Clan was more active than he thought.

"What else could it be?"

"I would love to say more, but tell your leader..."

An arrow whizzed by Icthaka's head, honing in on the tajilob's head. It was charged with a familiar K'iinu. Ichtaka kept a straight face. He was enjoying this too much.

In a second, Ixcel was onto the raiders, three others at her tail.

The band of raiders didn't stand a chance against four of the finest warriors in the Mountain. They quickly gathered their K'iinu defensively and began to flee. A buzzing, static energy overcame Ichtaka's senses as a thick smoke fell upon them.

Priestess Ixcel closed her balled her hands. From the peripheral of his vision, Ichtaka could see her ramming her two fists together. He braced himself as he felt a buildup of K'iinu.

BAM!

The force nearly knocked Ichtaka off of his feet. The blast emitted from Ixcel's fists ripped through the black smoke. The rapidly descending darkness now dissipated like mist in the morning.

But even as their vision cleared, they already knew that the raiders would be gone. Sure enough, they were nothing but specks at a distance.

Ixcel passed her glance from Cadmael to Ichtaka— then her eyes rested on her niece. She brushed away a stray strand of coal black hair that had escaped from the impeccable knot. Her voice was deadly calm. "You lost control."

Akna looked like she was shrinking.

"You have a lot of explaining to do."

They trudged back to camp without another word.