A Letter To My Mother

Author's Note: This is just something I was experimenting with, a story meant to hit each of the main emotions with each chapter, so this first one is the admiration stage, trust and love for a person. Enjoy!

 Oh, the days of the mourning period. With father gone, I wondered how we would ever cope now that the predatory outsiders see us as only a weak kingdom with no king to guard it, only a place of magic to be stolen. But you reassured me, even as I watched the gloom consume your eyes, when each waking moment was a nightmare, struggling to keep what he had left behind alive. And when you accepted my destiny for me, when things became so dreadful that I had to step up, I wanted to do so desperately. I wanted the strength from your heart, the love you had for father, the kindness in which you showed the people even as they mocked you for your age, for your inability to carry another child, for giving the kingdom only a useless daughter who would no more lead a war than her father.

"Marix, the suitors will be here at midday." You said to me as your favorite maid fluffed your gown, and mine tightened my corset so that I might be presentable to the men. From my mirror I watched you straighten your heavy crown and powder your growing winkles, made only from laughter and joy, but darkened so quickly from tears.

"Indeed. I believe they are to have tea in the garden. Shall I greet them first?"

"I will take to welcoming them. Tread your words carefully, they do not know how our magic works." Yes, I knew that. I knew how the men who came only wished to wed me because I would carry the magic now that you could carry children no more. I would be the one to strengthen their bloodline and allow them access to our lands, our provisions. Our peaceful people would be taken to make war and dominate the lands around us, but would we be protected? Though I feared what father had, that expanding our lands would invite the villains from outside into our inner sanctum, I stood tall only because you did. The head that you held high was adorned by jewels of a travesty of love, of jeering and scorn. None were more powerful than you in your ability to handle the most wretched situation. Our kingdom, poor from father's refusal to trade with wealthy outsiders and belief that love magic would conquer all, was made radiant only by your wisdom and sanity among all that you endured under his kind but ignorant reign.

"My lady, you should meet with them." My maid said when you had been to seat the guests. The first time I would be with the outsiders. I brushed past that maid, and I never found out her name. Perhaps, at the time, I lacked the love for which the magic would work. I had already fallen into the same bottomless void that father had, and I had no knowledge that it had happened.

"Ah, there is the future queen of Axame, what a sight. I rather thought you would be in rags." One of the princes, perhaps Novilan Sain, said in a surprised tone. Your eyes graced the back of his head, and I was rather stunned at the obvious hatred you had. I did not think you had it in you, nor do I think he felt the weight of his words. But nevertheless, the prince was oblivious to your presence wholly, and his crisp green eyes bored into me, his cleanly cut brown hair and untrimmed beard shone in the noonlight. I could tell his own mother was unamused even from her table so far away, it is curious, the ears of a mother.

"My apologies if my appearance does not please you, my lord," I said as I curtsied, "I wished to honor you all in my dress today. This is traditional wear for the kingdom." It had been for as long as I could recall, a simple red dress that did my blue hair no justice, though I had heard, perhaps from a maid, that the contrast was "invigorating." It matched well with the golden rays of the daylight, however, and to me stood like a dream against the roses of the garden. Perhaps their tastes were simply different.

"Oh, you are quite pleasing, princess. It would be a fine idea to know that I would be making love magic with you." Another, I think it was Prince Valor Everard, said. Prince Novilan remarked that his statement was vulgar, though I knew not why, as it was the purpose of this event to find my gem maker. Prince Valor was an interesting sight, with his striking gold hair and eyes that burned purple like a newly-cut stone. I was struck by the thought that I had no idea how to choose a suitor, as I did not know who would make our magic strong or who would love me as father had you, even if I never had the face of marked joy that you built in your relationship. I thanked him, however, and found my seat waiting with a cup of lavender tea.