Chapter 6: More than just good friends

Joel gets to the pub a bit before ten, lingers outside the door and then lingers inside the door, not sure what he's supposed to do. He sees Chris at the bar and catches his eye before he can run away again, Chris just raises his eyebrows at him and Joel gives him a small wave. Chris shakes his head and holds up five fingers. Joel nods and leans against the wall by the door, trying to be inconspicuous, and pulls out his phone for something to do with his hands. He can't help watching Chris though, seeing him again just sends all the same feelings of confusion running through him but also he can't help but look as Chris pulls the last few pints of his shift, smirking at customers and chatting with Richard. He remembers the first time he was in here, when he decided to get involved with Chris was a terrible idea, and wonders how exactly he got to this point, gazing longingly at him.

A few minutes later and Chris disappears into the back, returning a couple of minutes later with his jacket on. He waves at Richard briefly, and Richard's eyes flick to Joel, raising his eyebrows significantly. Chris just shakes his head slightly before continuing towards Joel. Joel doesn't understand the interaction he's just witnessed, but is under no illusion that it's about him.

"Shall we talk outside?" Chris says as he approaches Joel.

"Yeah, okay," Joel says and he sounds breathless to his own ears which is stupid. He clears his throat a little, and Chris throws him a knowing look over his shoulder as he pushes the door open to the pub.

Thankfully, it's a little warmer than the last time he stood outside a pub with Chris, but his proximity to the other man still makes him feel like he wants to shiver. Chris turns to look at him and Joel shuffles his feet slightly, tucking a piece of hair behind his ear and wondering where to start. Chris stands in the silence for an achingly long minute before taking pity on him.

"Well I was fairly surprised to hear from you again after the last two weeks," Chris says.

"I'm- sorry?" Joel says hesitantly.

"Are you?" Chris says coolly, folding his arms. He looks ridiculously intimidating, in his leather jacket, leaning against the wall of the pub, with an unimpressed look directed at Joel. Joel hates how that just makes him want him even more.

"Yes," Joel says in a small voice. "I'm sorry for not replying to your message."

"I thought the first time I was rejected," Chris says lightly. "But being ghosted after sleeping with someone, that really sends a message."

Joel winces. "I was confused."

"I think I've had enough of being caught in your confusion," Chris says dryly.

Joel feels a sense of panic at Chris not wanting to see him anymore, a completely unreasonable reaction considering he's been the one ignoring him for the past two weeks. He decides then and there that he won't be able to walk away again, that he doesn't want to. He hooks his fingers into Christopher's belt loops and pulls him against his body before kissing him heavily. Chris responds immediately, sucking Joel's lip between his teeth and wrapping his arms around Joel's shoulders before he pauses, pulling his mouth away from Joel and looking at him.

"What are we doing?" He asks Joel, eyes staring into his.

"I don't know," Joel says, trying to catch Christopher's lips back on his own.

"Nah, sorry, I'm not having that," Chris says, staying with his arms wrapped around Joel but turning his head away from his mouth. "I'm not sleeping with you until you decide what you want."

Joel huffs and tries to clear his head. He'd really rather be kissing Chris than delving into his desires, and so instead of responding, he slides his hands up Christopher's arms to let one hand scratch through the hair on the back of his head, while dropping his head to mouth across his collarbone.