16 Cures & Recovery

This morning when Edmond lowered my breakfast before me, every ounce of my blood rushed to my face. The action wasn't different or new, but his close proximity had my heart beating frantic.

He still smelled of spice like the night before.

To be sure, his pace was measured but I needed him away from me far faster than he moved.

My lightheadedness was because I'd held my breath but began to breathe heavier once I'd noticed and started counter measures.

Finally, my eyes closed, I prayed he'd leave my proximity.

When he was gone, putting down the plates for everyone, my posture sagged.

My daughters regarded me in confusion.

Cinderella was particularly concerned. "Stepmother, your face is so flushed. It's been this way since yesterday." She leapt to her feet, touched my forehead, and declared, "You're burning up! I'll get medicine right away."

She stumbled out in a hurry, making the most terrible ruckus. Poppy and Piglet waited, waited for me to admonish her behavior but I felt dazed. That was the last thing on my mind.

Within minutes, Cinderella returned, fear and panic creased in her face as she took a spoon and scooped up whatever was in that fancy faux medicine bottle and mixed it into my soup.

"I know the right dosage. I'd done this for Mother toward the end. But I promise, this time I'll give you twice as much. Don't worry."

I caught her hand because she started to tremble. Once our eyes met, I assured her, "I am not ill. It's just the weather getting me flustered."

Cinderella's expression changed. "But it's nearly autumn."

This time when my face heated, I fought to compose myself.

I guided her to her chair and patted her arm.

"Here. Enjoy your meal, and I will enjoy mine."

The worry wafting off that pretty face was why I sought to assure her by picking up the medicine bottle.

"But I'll keep this just in case."

Her eyes lit up and I smiled. She was the only one in high spirits. My other two daughters ate their food as if they'd just been assigned to abandon their family for war.

Poppy was the first to finish, followed by Piglet who barely ate a bite.

Seeing Edmond's hard work go to waste concerned me.

Once they were gone, I stood and gathered their plates close. I'd do what all mothers did eventually, eat after her children like a scavenger.

Cinderella still watched me so I explained, "We should not waste food." I was quick to add, "But never do this in polite company."

She nodded. Today, her perfect posture abandoned, she wiped her face with the back of her hand; I was heartbroken.

"So you no longer want to be a lady?"

Cinderella picked at her food. "It's a hopeless endeavor. Best if I resign to this." Her big eyes pleaded when she asked, "May I stay with you instead?"

I wanted to say no but I was touched. "Don't give up just yet, all right?"

She finished her meal then took my soup. "Should I help you eat everything."

The sentiment was sweet, but I shook my head. "No. Go and find your sisters and see what they have planned for today."

Cinderella lumbered to her feet. "But I don't want to do a lesson. Must I?"