28 Flight & Flight

No one comforted Cinderella as she sat in the family room, in tears. Now and then, Prince Archibald looked ready to approach her, but her recoiled posture urged him away.

The constables eyed my other two daughters as if they were inhumane. They stood stoic but I could see it, this situation had done its damage.

I prayed Poppy would recover. No, not all princes were this entitled but people of eminence powers rarely heard no.

It was luck he never served in the army. If this was how he handled women in his own homeland....

Wherever that despicable prince disappeared to, I wasn't sure, but his mother was here now, recounting what took place.

"The prince generously came to offer this poor woman his hand in marriage, but her stepmother hid her away."

"Hid her away?" the man said with a gasp.

"Yes. It was quite awful. And look at the rags she wears compared to others. Why, I was sure I saw a very room down in that cellar!"

The officer's expression was grim. "And how was the prince injured—?"

"He fell," Prince Archibald offered. His eyes settled on his mother, daring her to challenge him.

She cleared her throat and affirmed his words, "Yes. He took an awful spill. Please—please do not include that in your report to the king."

"I see. Am I even needed further—?"

"No, no," the woman pronounced, "all is well. It is simply an exciting occasion."

The constable convened with his men then turned his attention to me.

"How are you feeling?" Edmond asked in a whisper as we made our slow journey towards the study.

He had me pinned to the wall lest I fell. "Oh. Just...lovely. Haven't a care in the world. Or a muscle in my body."

"Whatever you do," Edmond said, "allow him to speak to the very end before you drop."

I thought to inquire about his meaning, but we entered the room and he stepped away from me.

The lead officer, finished with the business in the family room, came to the study. He waited for one of his men to close the door before he said, "I'm very sorry to impose on you like this, ma'am. But this is of the utmost importance."

I drew myself up to my full height, a feat that was excruciatingly difficult. "Yes, sir."

He hesitated then said, "It's your husband, ma'am. We believe he's been murdered."

A gasp came from me and I nearly lost power but willed myself upright. I trembled from my fatigue but the look of sympathy I received said the officer read my body language differently.

"What?" I gasped, winded.

"A horse thief confessed," he said. "Some days ago, as your servant rode into town for questioning, he spotted a horse he said belonged to his master. Well, we barely approached before the thief immediately confessed. You see, he happened on a drunk on the highway who dismounted to...relieve himself. He tampered with the saddle then followed behind him as he eventually fell off. His intent was to take the horse but your husband accidentally...broke his neck. I'm very sorry."

I waited for more and when there was none, I took a step forward and immediately swooned to the floor.

The constable caught me. After someone provided me with a chair, I stared at the officer, winded.

"Where are his remains now?"

"That...is much harder to explain, ma'am. A body was found in the river some months back. No one claimed it so he was buried sans what he possessed on him."